When determining the right course level for you, department advisors rely on:
- The results of the placement exams administered by the department
- Advanced Placement (AP) examination scores or International Baccalaureate (IB) rankings that you have submitted
- Information on how you learned the language(s) that you know (e.g., setting and duration of study)
Here are some HELPFUL GUIDELINES:
- A placement test is not needed if you want to take a language you've never studies and do not speak. Simply enroll in any 101 section of that language.
- If you wish to continue with a language, please take an online placement test. To find placement tests for Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish, go to your Blackboard home page and click on the "Services" tab, then click on "Academics." You will find a link to the online exam under "Language Placement."
- If you are an incoming first-year student, you can also find the placement exam through the "Class of 20XX" link under "My Organizations" on Blackboard. Click on "Orientation Online" and you will find a link to the "Language Placement Test."
- French and Spanish course placements are regularly posted on Blackboard. Click on "Language Course Placement" under "My Organizations" on your Blackboard home page.
- German, Italian, and Russian course placements are regularly emailed to your registered UR email account.
- For Polish and Portuguese placements, please contact the instructors.
- For Chinese, Japanese, and Korean placements and for those who have questions about their placements, please speak with an advisor in that language program.
For PROGRAM-SPECIFIC PLACEMENT INFORMATION, including links to online placement exams, please see the links below:
Interested in a course that's already full? Sign up on our wait list.
If you have any additional questions not answered by the MLC website, please contact us.
MLC Language Placement Advisors
Chinese - Ping Pian
French - Julie Papaioannou
German - Susan Gustafson
Italian - Teresa Murano
Japanese - Mariko Tamate
Korean - Myounghee Cho
Polish - Małgorzata Wojciechowska
Portuguese - Teresa Valdez
Russian - Laura Givens
Spanish - Michelle Brown