Before joining the University of Rochester, Cho taught Korean at Rice University and Northern Arizona University. As a language instructor, she is interested in all aspects of language learning and teaching. She strives to give her students tools that can help them explore and experience the Korean language and Korean culture.
- Language pedagogy
- language acquisition
- Korean linguistics
- curriculum design
- development of learning and teaching methodologies and materials
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- KOR 101: Elementary Korean I (Fall)
- KOR 102: Elementary Korean II (Spring)
- KOR 111: Intensive Korean I (Summer)
- KOR 112: Intensive Korean II (Summer)
- KOR 151: Intermediate Korean I (Fall)
- KOR 107: Korean in Korea (Summer)
- KOR 152: Intermediate Korean II (Spring)
- KOR 157: Korean in Korea (Summer)
- KOR 201: Advanced Intermediate Korean I (Fall)
- KOR 202: Advanced Intermediate Korean II (Spring)
- KOR 207: Korean in Korea (Summer)
- “Classroom Activities for Student Engagement: "5 minutes" and Survey Project.” in the Curriculum Design and Praxis in Language Teaching: A Globally Informed Approach, ed. F. Carra-Salsberg, M. Figueredo, and M. Jeon (Toronto: The University of Toronto Press): 198-208, forthcoming 2022.
- Film-Incorporated Curriculum: Adding Authenticity and Versatility to Foreign Language Classrooms. The Korean Language in America, 23(1), 2019, 99-112. JSTOR.
- "The use and efficacy of correction symbols in KFL writing." Korean Language in America, vol. 22, no. 1, Oct. 2018, pp. 83-92. JSTOR.
- Arizona Computer-Assisted Language Learning Conference (AZCALL) Report. AZTESOL News, no. 35, Mar. 2014, pp. 15-16.
Selected Conference Presentations
- "Facilitating Deeper Learning in Online Language Courses within the Community of Inquiry Framework". The 25th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK), 24-26 June. 2021 (Virtual Presentation) (Co-presented with Song, J. Y., Kim, L., Kim, S. B., Lee, E. J., Lee, J. Y., Cho-Min, H. S. J., Park, C. Y., & Song, M. J.)
- "Designing and Implementing a Summer Korean Study Abroad Program: Cases from Seven Universities in the U.S.". The 24th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK), Columbia University, NY, 18-19 June. 2020 (Virtual Presentation) (Co-presented with Song, J. Y., Choi, B. Y., Kim, H. S., Ko, I. S., Lee, J. Y., & Song, M. J.)
- “Students on the Move: Planning, Implementing, and Assessing a Short-term Study Abroad (SA) Program through the Lens of Intercultural Competence”. The 24th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 19-24 June. 2019 (Co-presented with Lee, J.Y.)
- "From A to Z in Planning and Implementing a Short Study Abroad Program". The 22nd Annual Conference of the National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages (NCOLCTL), Atlanta, GA, 22-26 Apr. 2019
- "Standards-Based Project: Survey Project". The 23rd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK), University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. 21-23 June. 2018
- "Creating an Engaging Language Learning and Teaching Environment in the 'Five Minutes Before Class' ". The 21st Annual Conference of the National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages (NCOLCTL), Herndon, VA. 20-22 Apr. 2018
- "Film Incorporated Curriculum: Its Significance and Versatility in Language Learning and Teaching". The Spring Conference of the New York State Association of Foreign Language Teachers (NYSAFLT), Rochester, NY. 10 Mar. 2018
- "The Effect and Students' Perceptions of Corrective Feedback." American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages' 2017 Annual Convention and World Languages Expo, Nov. 2017, Nashville.
- "Enhancing Intercultural Communicative Competence through Awareness of Responsive Tokens for Korean as a Foreign Language Learners." Twentieth Annual National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages Conference, 21-23 Apr. 2017, Chicago.
- "Film Incorporated Curriculum: Adding Authenticity, Fun, and Diversity to Language Learning." Twenty-First Annual Conference and Professional Development Workshop by American Association of Teachers of Korean, 16-18 Jun. 2016, Emory University, Atlanta.
- "Teaching Trades for Language Learners." Nineteenth Annual National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages Conference, 21-24 Apr. 2016, Atlanta.
- "Learning and Teaching Environment of Correction Symbols Only in KFL Class." Nineteenth Annual National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages Conference, 21-24 Apr. 2016, Atlanta.
- "A Key to Enriching Language Instruction: Building Up Collegiality Among Language Teachers." New York 'State Association of Foreign Language Teachers Spring Conference, 5 Mar. 2016, Rochester.
- "Feel Korean Sentiments Through a Korean Song and Melody." Rosetta Stone, 16 Apr. 2014, Northern Arizona U, Flagstaff.
- "Identity of Listening and Ways to Listening Proficiency." Peaks Interdisciplinary Conference, 22-24 Feb. 2013, Northern Arizona U, Flagstaff.