- Professor of Instruction in Japanese
- Language Coordinator, Japanese
MBA, Temple University; Certificate in Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language, Cornell University
428 Lattimore Hall
Office Hours: By appointment only
Ms. Tamate is interested in two things: One is to help her students build a solid grammatical foundation in the Japanese language. The other is to give them the tools that they can use to continue learning the subject independently, even after graduation.
In order to achieve those goals, she introduces various media to her classes including trendy Japanese TV dramas and graphic novels (manga). Over the years, Ms. Tamate's students have won many prizes in National Speech Contests in Japanese sponsored by the Embassy of Japan, among other prizes. Many of her students have also been successful candidates in the Japan Exchange Teachers (JET) Program run by the Japanese government and were sent to the public school systems in Japan to assist the English-language teachers there.
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- JPN 151: Intermediate Japanese I (Fall)
- JPN 152: Intermediate Japanese II (Spring)
- JPN 201: Advanced Intermediate Japanese I (Fall)
- JPN 202: Advanced Intermediate Japanese II (Spring)
- JPN 205: Advanced Japanese I (Fall)
- JPN 206: Advanced Japanese II (Spring)