Teaching and research interests include French language and culture, translation studies, African film aesthetics and criticism, 20th and 21st century France, the production of literature by the African diaspora in France, and French-speaking films in the Caribbean and Québec, French criticism, literary and postcolonial theory.
Projects involve The Cinema of Jean-Pierre Bekolo: outcasts, survivors, warriors, which investigates narrative and aesthetic modes of women representation and identity in the film experience of French-Cameroonian filmmaker Jean-Pierre Bekolo.
Compassionate Teaching, an edited volume to investigate effective teaching strategies and pedagogical approaches to address anxiety and learning in the classroom and reflect on strategies that address new challenges in the in-person, online, or hybrid teaching and learning environments during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- FR 101: Elementary French I (Fall)
- FR 102: Elementary French II (Spring)
- FR 111: French in Focus: Intensive Elementary French (Summer)
- FR 154: Screening French Shorts: Intensive Intermediate French (Summer)
- FR 157/FREN 207: French in France: Study Abroad, Rennes, France (Summer 2019)
- FR 200: Advanced French (Fall/Spring)
- FR 204: Contemporary French Culture (Fall 2018-2020)
- FR 211: Aspects of French Grammar (Fall 2017)
- FR 212: French Literature in Translation (Spring 2018)
- FR 235: Texts Beyond Borders (Fall 2016)
- FR 241: Le Nouveau Roman (Spring 2015)
- FR 242: Théâtre Français (Spring 2016)
- FR 260: 20th c. France at War (Spring 2019)
- FR 270: Women Write Women: Africa and the Caribbean (Fall 2016)
- FR 279: Immigration in French Literature and Film (Spring 2017)
- FR 288: French in Film: Africa, Caribbean, Québec (Spring 2016)
- “Qu’elle aille explorer le possible!” or African Cinema according to Jean-Pierre Bekolo” in Companion to African Cinema. Kenneth Harrow and Carmela Garritano (Eds.) Wiley Blackwell. Anticipated publication 2017-18.
- “Fanta Nacro's Night of Truth: the journey to the end of the night” in Under Fire: Critical Discourses on African Women in War and Conflict. Pauline A. Uwakweh (Ed.) Lexington Books, 2017.
- “From Orality to Visuality: The Question of Aesthetics in African Cinema.” Renewal in African Cinema: Aesthetics and Ideology, Journal of African Cinemas 1.2 2009.
- “Reel” Fiction in Cameroonian Cinema: The Postcolonial Re-shaping of Cultural Reality.”in Cinema and Social Discourse in Cameroon, Alexie Tcheuyap (Ed.) Bayreuth African Studies, Vol. 69.
Recent Conference Presentations
- “Teaching African Literature to undergraduates: Engaged Learning strategies” Roundtable presentation at the 45th Annual Conference of the African Literature Association, Columbus, Ohio, May 15-18, 2019.
- “Challenging the Visual, Taming the Gaze” Roundtable Presentation by the Teaching Committee of the EC/ALA, African Literature Association, Washington, DC, May 25, 2018.
- “Residues of the Future, Forecast of the Past: Environments of Modernity in African Literature and Film.” African Literature Association (ALA), Washington, DC, May 24, 2018.
- "A Global Perspective in a Crystal Ball: Jean-Pierre Bekolo's Naked Reality." Africa and the World: Literature, Politics, and Global Geographies. African Literature Association Annual Conference, 15 Jun. 2017, Yale University, New Haven.
- "Communities in Transit in Moussa Touré's La pirogue." Justice and Human Dignity in Africa and the Africa Diaspora. African Literature Association Annual Conference, 9 Apr. 2016, Marriott Marquis Atlanta.
Elementary, intermediate, and advanced French language; Literary translation from French to English; French literature of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries; Francophone literature and film
Honors and Activities
- Editor-Book and Media Review-JALA (Journal of the African Literature Association), Routledge, Spring 2018-present
- Elected Executive Councilor of the ALA (African Literature Association), June 2017-2020
- Tournées French Film Festival organizer, Face Foundation Grant, Fall 2014-Spring 2017
- Founding member of the Film, Visual, and Media Caucus of the African Literature Association; Chair, June 2015-2017
- CTLTR Grant for creating web-based application for French language instruction, University of Rochester, Spring 2010
- Burton Research Grant to attend the Panafrican Film and Television Festival (FESPACO) in Burkina Faso, University of Rochester, Spring 1999