Andrew Korn researches questions of desire, subjectivity and politics in modern Italian literature and film. He has published articles on director Liliana Cavani’s The Night Porter and director Michelangelo Antonioni’s Red Desert and Zabriskie Point, which advance different theorizations of a politics of desire. Korn has also published on Argentinian filmmaker Marco Berger’s depiction of male intimacy in Plan B and Hawaii. Korn is currently involved in a book project on writer Pier Paolo Pasolini's tragic plays and Critical Theory, which is based on his doctoral dissertation, Subjectivity and Politics in Pasolini’s Bourgeois Tragic Theater.
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- IT 101: Elementary Italian I (Fall)
- IT 102: Elementary Italian II (Spring)
- IT 151: Intermediate Italian I (Fall)
- IT 152: Intermediate Italian II (Spring)
- IT 242: The Films of Pier Paolo Pasolini (Fall 2019)
- IT 243: Postwar Italian Directors: Fellini, Antonioni, Cavani (Spring 2019)
- IT 250: Love and War in the Modern Italian Novel (Spring 2020)
- "Male Intimacy in Marco Berger's Plan B and Hawaii." Queer Studies in Media and Popular Culture, vol. 2, no. 3, 2017, pp. 323-337, https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/qsmpc/2017/00000002/00000003/art00004.
- "The Creationary Assemblage in Antonioni's Red Desert and Zabriskie Point." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 3, no. 4, 2015, pp. 78-98, rivistalucieombre.com/the-creationary-assemblage-in-antonionis-red-desert-and-zabriskie-point-antonioni-deleuze-and-the-creationary-assemblage-di-andrew-korn/.
- "From Image to Praxis: Mapping Desire in The Night Porter." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 2, no. 1, 2014, pp. 54-74, rivistalucieombre.com/from-image-to-praxis-mapping-desire-in-the-night-porter-di-andrew-korn/.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- CAITY Caucus Travel Grant, Northeast Modern Language Association, January 2019
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2017
- Teacher Study Grant, Center for Italian Studies Babilonia and American Association of Teachers of Italian, June 2016
- Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Research Fellowship, Penn Humanities Forum, University of Pennsylvania, Fall 2014
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2014
- Benjamin Franklin Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 2011-2014