Andrew Korn is an independent researcher. He completed his B.A. in Italian Studies at the University of Rochester and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Italian Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. His research interests lie within modern culture and critical theories, particularly twentieth-century Italian literature and cinema, and issues of revolution and of bonds between men. In his research, he works to develop unique concepts through close analyses of his objects of study. He has published articles on Liliana Cavani, Michelangelo Antonioni, Marco Berger, and Pier Paolo Pasolini. His research has been awarded grants and fellowships from the Northeast Modern Language Association and the Center for Italian Studies, and Penn Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania. He is currently writing a book on Pasolini's theater.
Korn is also a Lecturer in Italian at the University of Rochester, where he teaches Italian language, literature, and cinema.
- Modern culture and critical theories, particularly twentieth-century Italian literature and cinema, and issues of revolution and of bonds between men
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- ITAL 101: Elementary Italian I (Fall)
- ITAL 102: Elementary Italian II (Spring)
- ITAL 151: Intermediate Italian I (Fall)
- ITAL 152: Intermediate Italian II (Spring)
- ITAL 242: The Films of Pier Paolo Pasolini (Fall 2019)
- ITAL 243: Postwar Italian Directors: Fellini, Antonioni, Cavani (Spring 2019)
- ITAL 246: Italian Neorealist Directors: Rossellini, De Sica, Visconti - in English
- ITAL 250: Love in Italian WWII Novels
- “Pasolini’s Ambivalent Love-Hate Poetry in Fabulation, Orgy, and Pigsty.” Transmedialità etransculturalismo in Pier Paolo Pasolini, special issue of Diacritica, vol. 1, no. 44, 2022, pp. 215-26, https://diacritica.it/wp-content/uploads/Diacritica-VIII-44-25maggio2022-vol-I.pdf.
- "Liliana Cavani." Twentieth-Century Italian Filmmakers, edited by Manuela Gieri and Donato Santeramo, Rome, UniversItalia, 2020, pp. 165-70, https://www.universitaliasrl.it/editore-universitalia/2448-twentieth-century-italian-filmmakers-vol-1-2-9788832933635.html
- "Male Intimacy in Marco Berger's Plan B and Hawaii." Queer Studies in Media and Popular Culture, vol. 2, no. 3, 2017, pp. 323-337, https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/intellect/qsmpc/2017/00000002/00000003/art00004.
- "The Creationary Assemblage in Antonioni's Red Desert and Zabriskie Point." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 3, no. 4, 2015, pp. 78-98, rivistalucieombre.com/the-creationary-assemblage-in-antonionis-red-desert-and-zabriskie-point-antonioni-deleuze-and-the-creationary-assemblage-di-andrew-korn/.
- "From Image to Praxis: Mapping Desire in The Night Porter." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 2, no. 1, 2014, pp. 54-74, rivistalucieombre.com/from-image-to-praxis-mapping-desire-in-the-night-porter-di-andrew-korn/.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- CAITY Caucus Travel Grant, Northeast Modern Language Association, January 2019
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2017
- Teacher Study Grant, Center for Italian Studies Babilonia and American Association of Teachers of Italian, June 2016
- Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Research Fellowship, Penn Humanities Forum, University of Pennsylvania, Fall 2014
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2014
- Benjamin Franklin Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 2011-2014