Skip to main content

Undergraduate Program


Chinese history and culture stretch back thousands of years. Standard Mandarin Chinese is the official language of both China and Taiwan. It is also one of Singapore's four official languages (along with English, Malay, and Tamil). The number of native speakers is quickly approaching one billion, making Mandarin Chinese by far the most widely spoken language in the world.

US companies are in constant need of Americans with Chinese language skills. A minor in Chinese will distinguish you from your peers applying to graduate or professional schools or interviewing for the same jobs.

Below is information on:


Chinese Minor Requirements

  • Any three-course Chinese language sequence
  • Three further courses in Chinese language, culture, literature, film, art, history, or politics

Complete list of Chinese courses >

Top ↑

Chinese Clusters

The department offers three Chinese clusters in the humanities academic division.

Chinese Language (H1CHI001)
This cluster introduces students to basic language skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening).

Chinese Language and Culture (H1CHI002)
This cluster introduces students to Chinese culture through language courses and courses on Chinese literature, popular culture, religion and history.

Chinese Culture (H1CHI003)
This cluster introduces students to Chinese culture, history, literature, and religion.

Top ↑

Studying Abroad in China

Students are encouraged to study abroad in China, if possible. The Center for Study Abroad has programs in major cities in China, including Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, and Nanjing. Generally speaking, coursework undertaken abroad will count toward the Chinese minor. For more information on studying abroad in China, visit the study abroad site or speak to a study abroad advisor.

Top ↑

Language Placement Information

Advanced Placement (AP) scores or International Baccalaureate (IB) rankings assist departmental advisors in finding the right course level for you. Information on how you learned the language or languages you know will also help us advise you on the most appropriate courses for you.

For students with previous experience with the Mandarin language, the first step is to take the online placement exam. You will receive a score that will be used along with the survey information you provide and with any AP or IB scores you have submitted. Together, these will help determine your placement in a specific language course. For more information on the online placement test, and instructions for how to login, see our online placement exam instructions page. Students who have not studied Standard Mandarin Chinese previously and who are not heritage speakers of Standard Mandarin Chinese may register for CHI 101 without taking a placement exam.

The placement you receive with your online numerical test scores is not necessarily how you will be placed by MLC.

Students will receive a “Course planning, placement, and recommendations” sheet with their language placement information from Academic Advising during Orientation and via email.

Top ↑

Contact Information

For more information about Chinese language, literature, and culture courses or about becoming a Chinese minor, contact Professor Ping Pian at or Professor Elizabeth Weber at


Ping Pian, Associate Professor of Instruction in Chinese

Guoming Tian, Assistant Professor of Instruction in Chinese

Elizabeth E. Weber, Visiting Assistant Professor of Chinese

Top ↑