Rennes-Rochester Photo Contest 2018
To view the contest photos in exhibit order, please see the following pages: Wall 1 | Wall 2 | Wall 3
There is also a photo dialogue between Eli Rogers (UR '18) and Lena Quinio (Rennes) with photos they have each taken of Rennes and Rochester, respectively. Those interested can view it here.
Grand Prize from the French Program ($100):
Mirette Ibrahim-Public Market (Rennes)-Wall 1 - photo #6 -this photo has received the majority of votes from the public
Category Local Culture sponsored by the Language Center ($50):
Carrie Heusinkveld-Memorial Art Gallery (Rochester)-Wall 1 - photo #13
Category Student Experience sponsored by Education Abroad ($50):
Ryannon Starkey-Tower (Rennes)-Wall 2 - photo # 2
Category Cityscape-Landscape sponsored by River Campus Libraries ($50)
John Egan- Downtown Rochester at Dusk (Rochester)-Wall 3 - photo #2
Cementing International Bond
A unique cultural exchange program between the Universities of Rochester and Rennes, France, designed to improve Franco-American relations at the local level, took President de Kiewiet to France in October as a member of a good will delegation from Rochester. In an impressive ceremony, the French university awarded him an honorary degree on October 11. Two years ago this fall a delegation of five leaders from Rennes visited Rochester and the University, among them the rector of the University of Rennes, Dr. Paul Henry. During their visit, the University conferred an honorary Doctor of Laws degree on Dr. Henry at a special convocation. At that time, President de Kiewiet and the rector discussed possible educational relations between the two institutions. A color movie was made of the convocation and a print sent to Rennes as a souvenir of the French visit. During the past academic year, the two universities exchanged graduate students. Patricia Murphy, ’57, went to Rennes as an assistant in the English department, and Alain Blanchet, a Rennes graduate student, came to the River Campus as a language laboratory assistant.
Sixty years later, the two universities continue to exchange graduate students. Eli Rogers, ’18, went to Rennes as an assistant in the English department, and Lena Quinio, a Rennes graduate student, came to the River Campus as a language instructor. The Rennes-Rochester: 60 ans d’amitié franco-américaine photo contest and exhibit celebrates this long-standing academic exchange along with the cultural and learning experience of students of French who have recently studied in Rennes Summer Study Abroad program and are enrolled in the French program of the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures at the University of Rochester. Sponsored by the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, Education Abroad, the Language Center and the River Campus Libraries.
November 8, 2018
The UR ceremony to bestow an honorary degree upon the Rector of the University of Rennes, Paul Henry (1956)
Rennes and Rochester Books: History, Images and other Resources
- Croix, Alain, Didier Guyvarc'h, and Marc Rapilliard. 2011. La Bretagne des photographes: La construction d'une image de 1841 à nos jours. Rennes: Presses universitaires de Rennes.
DC611 .B855 C76, George Eastman Museum, main stacks
- Ducrest de Villeneuve, Émile, and Dominique Maillet. 1845. Histoire de Rennes.
DC801 .R4 M49, Rush Rhees Stacks
- Gatouillat, Françoise, Michel Hérold, and Inventaire général du patrimoine culturel (France). 2005. Les vitraux de Bretagne. Vol. 7 :7; Rennes: Presses universitaires de Rennes.
NK5349.B8 G38 2005, Rush Rhees Stacks
- Meyer, Jean. 1972. Histoire de Rennes. Toulouse: Privat.
DC801.R4 M49, Rush Rhees Stacks
- McKelvey, Blake, and Ruth Rosenberg-Naparsteck. 2001. Rochester: A panoramic history. Sun Valley, Calif: American Historical Press.
F130.3 .M1515 2001, Rush Rhees Stacks
- Kabelac, Karl Sanford, and University of Rochester. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. 2010. Basic sources for Rochester history. 10th rev[is]. ed. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester, Dept. of Rare Books, Special Collections and Preservation. Link
- Rosenberg-Naparsteck, Ruth, and Jerre Mangione. 1989. Rochester: A pictorial history. Norfolk, Va: Donning Co.
F129 .R743 R67 1989, Rush Rhees Stacks