- Rush Rhees Professor
- Professor of Modern Languages and Cultures
- Professor of Film and Media Studies
- Advisor to majors, transfers, and study abroad credit
PhD, Washington University in St. Louis
418 Lattimore Hall
Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday 2 - 3 p.m.
- Nineteenth-, twentieth- and twenty-first-century Hispanic literatures and cultures
- Spanish cinema
- critical theory
- popular culture
- the visual arts
- Spanish modernity
- the culture of science in Spain
- surrealism in Spain
- digital humanities
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- SP 200: Advanced Spanish Composition (Fall 2018)
- SP 202: The Forging of a Nation: Literary Ideas and Aesthetics from the Romantics to Democratic Spain (Spring 2018)
- SP 205: Spain: Past, Present, and Future (Spring 2017)
- SP 249D: Buñuel, Dalí, Lorca: Surrealism in Spain and Beyond (Fall 2018)
- SP 249M: Out of the Wings: Contemporary Spain on Stage (Spring 2016)
- SP 272: Postcards from Spain: Visitors, Observers, and Imaginary Geographies (Fall 2015)
- SP 280: The Transhispanic Supernatural: Ghosts, Witches, and Vampires in Film and Literature from Spain and Spanish America – co-taught with Raúl Rodríguez-Hernández (Spring 2017)
- SP 281: Other Worlds and Underworlds (Spring 2014)
- SP 288: Spanish Film (Fall 2014)
- SP 292: Politics, Portraits, Public Spaces: The Power of Photography in Spain and Spanish America (Fall 2014)
Books and Monographs
- Lens, Laboratory, Landscape: Observing Modern Spain. State U of New York P, 2014. SUNY Series in Latin American and Iberian Thought and Culture.
- Frida Kahlo: A Biography. Greenwood P, 2008. Greenwood Biographies.
- Bored to Distraction: Cinema of Excess in End-of-the-Century Mexico and Spain. State U of New York P, 2003. SUNY Series in Latin American and Iberian Thought and Culture.
- Danger Zones: Homosexuality, National Identity, and Mexican Culture. U of Arizona P, 1996.
- Textured Lives: Women, Art, and Representation in Modern Mexico. U of Arizona P, 1992.
- Juan Goytisolo: Del "realismo crítico" a la utopía. José Porrúa Turanzas, 1984. Ensayos.
Articles and Book Chapters
- With Raúl Rodríguez-Hernández. "From Utopia to Uchronia: After-images of Revolutionary History in Contemporary Mexican Film." Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinema, vol. 13, no. 2, Jun. 2016, pp. 137-57. Ingenta Connect, doi:10.1386/slac.13.2.137_1.
- With Raúl Rodríguez-Hernández. "Magic Mexican Modernity: The Shifting Image of Witches and Witchcraft in the Movies." The Supernatural Revamped: From Timeworn Legends to Twenty-First-Century Chic, edited by Barbara Brodman and James E. Doan, Fairleigh Dickinson UP / Rowman and Littlefield, 2016, pp. 97-114.
- "Clothes Make the Man: Closet, Cabaret, Cinema in El lugar sin límites (Arturo Ripstein, 1978)." Despite All Adversities: Spanish-American Queer Cinema, edited by Andrés Lema-Hincapié and Debra A. Castillo, State U of New York P, 2015, pp. 221-36. SUNY Series, Genders in the Global South.
- With Raúl Rodríguez-Hernández. "The Sublime Vampire: Transparency, Melodrama, and the Mise-en-Scène of Two Mexican Vampire Films." The Universal Vampire: Origins and Evolution of a Legend, edited by Barbara Brodman and James E. Doan, Fairleigh Dickinson UP / Rowman and Littlefield, 2013, pp. 225-38.
- "Parodying Paradise: When Mexican Buddy Films Turn Rudo y Cursi." Quarterly Review of Film and Video, vol. 30, no. 1, 2013, pp. 50-61. Taylor & Francis Online, doi:10.1080/10509208.2010.544974.
- "Revolution, Ideology, and the Eye of Cinema: El cometa as Mise en Abyme." Studies in Hispanic Cinemas, vol. 8, no. 1, Jan. 2012, pp. 37-49. Ingenta Connect, doi:10.1386/shci.8.1.37_1.
- "Who's Buried in Beatriz's Tomb? Monuments, Mementos, and Muses." The Boom Femenino in Mexico: Reading Contemporary Women's Writing, edited by Nuala Finnegan and Jane E. Lavery, Cambridge Scholars, 2010, pp. 280-94.
Honors and Activities
- Book for Understanding the World award for "Bored to Distraction," Association of American University Presses, 2003
- Book for Understanding the World award for "Danger Zones," Association of American University Presses, 1996