Andrew Korn is currently completing his PhD at the University of Pennsylvania, with a dissertation preliminarily titled Returns of the Sacred in Pasolini's Tragic Bourgeois Triptych Affabulazione-Orgia-Porcile. His project examines Pier Paolo Pasolini's plays Affabulazione ("Fabulation"), Orgia ("Orgy") and Porcile ("Pigsty"), which are part of the writer's late-1960s Teatro di Parola ("Word Theater").
Korn has previously published articles on director Liliana Cavani's Il portiere di notte (The Night Porter, 1974), and director Michelangelo Antonioni's Deserto rosso (Red Desert, 1964) and Zabriskie Point (1970) in Rivista Luci e Ombre. His articles re-examine these seminal Italian films through theoretical and philosophical frameworks developed from the writings of Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari and Michel Foucault, with the overarching concern of investigating visualizations of a politics of desire.
Korn has more recently written on Argentinian director Marco Berger's depiction of male intimacy in his films Plan B (2009) and Hawaii (2013).
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- IT 101: Elementary Italian I (Fall)
- IT 102: Elementary Italian II (Spring)
- IT 151: Intermediate Italian I (Fall)
- IT 152: Intermediate Italian II (Spring)
- IT 242: The Films of Pier Paolo Pasolini
- "Male Intimacy in Marco Berger's Plan B and Hawaii." Queer Studies in Media and Popular Culture, vol. 2, no. 3, 2017, pp. 323-337, http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Article,id=24588/.
- "The Creationary Assemblage in Antonioni's Red Desert and Zabriskie Point." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 3, no. 4, 2015, pp. 80-100, rivistalucieombre.com/the-creationary-assemblage-in-antonionis-red-desert-and-zabriskie-point-antonioni-deleuze-and-the-creationary-assemblage-di-andrew-korn/.
- "From Image to Praxis: Mapping Desire in The Night Porter." Rivista Luci e Ombre, vol. 2, no. 1, 2014, pp. 54-74, rivistalucieombre.com/from-image-to-praxis-mapping-desire-in-the-night-porter-di-andrew-korn/.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2017
- Teacher Study Grant, Center for Italian Studies Babilonia and American Association of Teachers of Italian, June 2016
- Graduate Certificate, Cinema Studies, University of Pennsylvania, October 2014
- Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Research Fellowship, Penn Humanities Forum, University of Pennsylvania, Fall 2014
- Salvatori Research Grant, Center for Italian Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 2014
- Benjamin Franklin Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 2011-2014