- Editor, translator, and introduction. A Herzen Reader. By Alexander Herzen, critical essay by Robert Harris, Northwestern UP, 2012. Russian edition, 2007.
- Russia's Dangerous Texts: Politics Between the Lines. Yale UP, 2004. Russian edition, 2007.
- With James H. Billington. The Search for a New Russian National Identity: Russian Perspectives. Library of Congress, 2003. Part of the Project on Russian Political Leaders funded by a Carnegie Foundation grant to James H. Billington and the Library of Congress.
- Russian Village Prose: The Radiant Past. Princeton UP, 1992. Russian edition, 2004.
- Fifty published scholarly articles, and one hundred scholarly presentations in the US, Canada, Australia, Russia, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Germany
Honors and Activities
- Mercer Brugler Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies (3)
- International Research and Exchanges Board (3)
- NEH; ACLS; SSRC
- New York State Council for the Humanities
- Columbia University Seminars Publications Grant
- Book Prize for Best Scholarly Translation into English for "A Herzen Reader," American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages (AATSEEL), 2013
- Choice magazine named "Russia's Dangerous Texts" one of the "best of the best" academic books for 2005
- Founding editor, "Tolstoy Studies Journal"
- Guest editor, "Russian Studies in History"
- Guest editor, "Slavic and East European Journal"
- Editorial board, "Slavic and East European Journal"