Teaching Faculty

The person who consents to supervise the project must be a full-time member of the teaching faculty, or a visiting or adjunct faculty member designated by the department chair as qualified to do so. See the academic advising independent study web page for more information.

How Do You Know if Your Research Mentor is a Member of the Full-Time Teaching Faculty?

This is usually indicated by the faculty’s title:

  • Professor
  • Associate professor
  • Assistant professor
  • Visiting faculty

Faculty title information can be found by visiting the UR Faculty/Staff Directory.

Can Research Faculty Instruct 395 Course?

Yes, and research faculty have done an excellent job instructing 395 courses in the past. However, students would need to have their instructor make arrangements with their department chair to supervise the course and provide some oversight. The department chair will need to sign off as the instructor of the course.