The Undergraduate Program in Biology and Medicine (UPBM) combines the resources of the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine and Dentistry to offer courses, lectures, laboratory work, specialty seminars, and research experiences to undergraduate students.
UPBM was founded in the early 1980s and serves as a gateway for undergraduates studying biology to gain research opportunities at the Medical Center. Since then the program has been accredited and is now one of the most popular undergraduate programs on campus.
The program provides opportunities to do independent research for credit during the academic year as well as de Kiewiet Summer Research Fellowships, which support summer research by outstanding University of Rochester undergraduate students.
See the Prospective Students PDF for an overview about the program.
News and Events
- New Summer2020: UR Solomon Islands Study Abroad Program
- Meet the UPBM Peer Advisors for AY2019-20
- UPBM e-Newsletter September 2019
- New Fall20: UR Biology Galapagos Study Abroad Program
- New Spring20: Iinternational Genetically Engineered Machines (iGEMs) Competition 2-Part Course Series (BIO 228a&b I)
- iGems Informational Pizza Lunch Meeting 10/3/2019, 12-2pm, Douglas 407 RSVP
- UPBM e-Newsletter 2019 Graduation Edition
- Class of 2019 Senior Slideshow
- Biology Department Diploma Ceremony
- BIO Courses Scheduling Changes Fall 2019
- New BIO Course Offerings in Spring 2019
- Past UPBM e-Newsletters
- First Year Course Planning: First Two Years
- Introductory Biology Courses: The difference between BIO 110 and BIO 112
- What if I have AP credits?
- How do I declare a Biology major/minor?
- How can I get involved in research?
- How do I register an Independent Research (395) Course?
- How do I get credit for teaching?
- What if I have transfer credits? (For transfer credit evaluations please use our online form.)
- UR Student Employment Opportunities
- How do I apply to be a teaching assistant?
- Study Abroad: Tips for Biology Majors
- Internships: College Policies