The Undergraduate Program in Biology and Medicine (UPBM) combines the resources of the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine and Dentistry to offer courses, lectures, laboratory work, specialty seminars, and research experiences to undergraduate students.
UPBM was founded in the early 1980s and serves as a gateway for undergraduates studying biology to gain research opportunities at the Medical Center. Since then the program has been accredited and is now one of the most popular undergraduate programs on campus.
The program provides opportunities to do independent research for credit during the academic year as well as de Kiewiet Summer Research Fellowships, which support summer research by outstanding University of Rochester undergraduate students.
See the Prospective Students PDF for an overview about the program.
News and Events
- UPBM E-Newsletter - Graduation Edition 2020
- Biology Academic Open House Slide Show Notes from Presentation on 06.24.2020
- Congratulations Class of 2020!
- Biology Department Majors Yearbook
- Biology Department Majors Senior Slide Show
- Links to Departmental Virtual Diploma Ceremonies: Visit Virtual Diploma Ceremony websites of UPBM departments for speeches from department chairs, faculty, and student speakers, as well as lists of graduates, awards, and a tribute to our biology teaching assistants.
- Poster Session Meliora Weekend 2019 Slide Show
- UR Solomon Island Field Course - New! Begins Summer21
- UR Biology Galapagos Study Abroad Program - New! Begins Spring21
- IGEMs International Genetically Engineered Machines 2-Part Course Series (February-October)
- Past UPBM e-Newsletters
- First Year Course Planning: First Two Years
- Introductory Biology Courses: The difference between BIOL 110 and BIOL 112
- What if I have AP credits?
- How do I declare a Biology major/minor?
- How can I get involved in research?
- How do I register an Independent Research (395) Course?
- How do I get credit for teaching?
- What if I have transfer credits?
- UR Student Employment Opportunities
- How do I apply to be a teaching assistant?
- Study Abroad: Tips for Biology Majors
- Internships: College Policies