BS in Biological Sciences: Microbiology (BMB) Track
We require students to maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) in the major, excluding allied field courses. See the advising page for information on how to declare your major, who your program advisor is, double majors, double degrees, petitioning for exceptions and more.
Introductory Courses (Three Courses)
One of the following:
- BIOL 110L: Principles of Biology I
- BIOL 112L: Perspectives in Biology I (pre-requires AP biology exam score of 4 or 5)
One of the following:
- BIOL 111L: Principles of Biology II
- BIOL 113L: Perspectives in Biology I (pre-requires AP biology exam score of 4 or 5)
- BIOL 198: Principles of Genetics
Laboratory Experience (Two Courses)
One half lab from UPBM laboratories list.*
Plus MBI 221W: Microbiology Lab
*BIOL 198P is highly recommended.
Advanced Courses (Five Courses)
Students are required to take MBI 220: Introduction to Microbiology.
Plus one of the following:
- BIOL 250: Introduction to Biochemistry
- BIOL 252: Principles of Biochemistry
Plus three advanced electives:
- MBI 404: Introduction to Emerging Pathogens
- MBI 414: Mechanisms of Microbial Pathogenesis
- MBI 421: Microbial Physiology and Genetics
- MBI 456: General Virology
- MBI 473: Immunology
Diversification Elective (One Course)
Select one course from the BMB diversification electives list. This course must be approved by the track coordinator and should be outside of the BMB major track.
Ancillary Requirements (Nine Courses with Indicated Labs)
Both of the following general chemistry courses:
- CHEM 131: Chemical Concepts I with Lab*
- CHEM 132: Chemical Concepts II with Lab*
One of the following organic chemistry I courses:
- CHEM 203/207: Organic Chemistry I with Lab*
- CHEM 171/173: First Year Organic Chemistry I with Lab
One of the following organic chemistry II courses:
- CHEM 204/208: Organic Chemistry II with Lab*
- CHEM 172/210: First Year Organic Chemistry with Lab
Note: Satisfactory completion of CHEM 171/173 and 172/210 first year organic chemistry series with labs in conjunction with AP credit for CHEM 131 fulfills the chemistry requirements.
One of the following physics I courses:
- PHYS 113: General Physics I with Lab*
- PHYS 121: Mechanics with Lab
- PHYS 141: Mechanics (Honors) with Lab
One of the following physics II courses:
- PHYS 114: General Physics II with Lab
- PHYS 122: Electricity and Magnetism with Lab
- PHYS 142: Electricity and Magnetism (Honors) with Lab
One of the following calculus I courses:
- MATH 141: Calculus I
- MATH 161: Calculus IA*
- MATH 171Q: Honors Calculus I
One of the following calculus II courses:
- MATH 142: Calculus II
- MATH 162: Calculus IIA*
- MATH 172Q: Honors Calculus II
One of the following ancillary electives:
- Math: MATH 163, 164, 165, 235 or other upper-level math with advisor approval (MATH 143 is not acceptable)
- Statistics: STAT AP, 201, 212, 214 (cross-listed BIOL/STAT 214) or other upper-level statistics course with advisor approval (STAT 211 is not acceptable)
- Computer programming: BIOL 208, CSC 161, 170, 171, ECE 114 or other computer programming course with advisor approval (CSC 108 and 110 are not acceptable)
*AP credit will also be accepted for this course. See our advising page for more information about AP credit.
Upper-Level Writing (ULW) Requirement (Two Courses)
Students must take MBI 221W: Introduction to Microbiology, plus one biology or natural sciences ULW course to fulfill their upper-level writing requirement.
See upper-level writing requirement for more information on which courses satisfy this requirement.