The Undergraduate Program in Biology and Medicine (UPBM) combines the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine and Dentistry to offer undergraduate students courses, lectures, laboratory work, specialty seminars, and research experiences.
UPBM was founded in the early 1980s and serves as a gateway for undergraduates studying biology to gain research opportunities at the Medical Center. Since then, the program has been accredited and is now one of the most popular undergraduate programs on campus.
The program provides opportunities to do independent research for credit during the academic year and de Kiewiet Summer Research Fellowships, which support summer research by outstanding University of Rochester undergraduate students.
Want to learn more about the U of R's undergraduate program in biology? Request an informational meeting or attend a class.
How to Declare a Major
Students intending to major in the biological sciences need to schedule a Zoom meeting with the Program Manager/Curriculum Advisor during the spring semester of their sophomore year to create a tentative schedule before meeting with the track advisor for final approval. Once the student has met with the major advisor, they will need to file a major declaration form with the College to complete the process. Once the form is submitted, it usually takes the college ten business days to add the declaration to student records in Workday.
Students declaring the following tracks can book a virtual meeting with Marianne Arcoraci online at https://upbm.simplybook.me/index/about.
- Ba Biology (BIO)
- Bs Biochemistry (BBC)
- Bs Biological Sciences: General Track (BSG)
- Bs Cell and Developmental Biology (BCD)
- Bs Computational Biology (BCB)
- Bs Microbiology (BMB)
- Bs Molecular Biology (BMG)
Students declaring the following track will need to meet with Melinda Adelman. Visit the BNS / BCS Website for instructions on setting up meetings.
Teaching Assistant (TA) Positions
Apply for open teaching assistant positions for the Fall 2022 semester. The application deadline is March 28th. Visit the online TA Application to apply and for more details.
Related: How do I get credit for teaching?
Undergraduate Jobs in the Biology Department
- Job Openings - Students who are interested in working at the Biology Department may view and apply for job openings via JobLink located on the Student Employment Office website:
- Current Student Employees - Information regarding Reporting Hours, Weekly Hour Limitations, Paycheck Distribution, Employment Verification, Trainings..., is available for download here
News, Events, Featured Programs
- Study Abroad in Ecuador Fall 2022: UR Biology Galapagos Study Abroad Program Returns
- Attend Info Session Tuesday 2/22/22_Read More
- deKiewiet Fellowship Summer Research Opportunity for Biology Majors_Read More
- Intent to Apply Due Tuesday March 1st, 2022
- Upload to Blackboard Formal Proposal, Summaries, References, and Statement of Authorship Due Tuesday March 15th, 2022
- Biology Majors who want to graduate with Honors in Research_Read More
- Application for Candidacy due Monday March 7th, 2022
- Candidates should coordinate date of defense with committees by mid April
- Defenses must be completed and results communicated to UPBM office by May 6th, 2022
- New process for registering BCH, MBI & IND courses in the School of Medicine (SMD) & Dentistry Courses Effective Spring 2022_Read More
- Biochemistry lab is now optional effective Spring 2022_Read More
- Peer Advising for Undergraduates: The biology department has four undergraduate peer advisors available to help students with their questions, including but not limited to: major requirements, how to get started in research, study abroad, independent research, special programs the department offers, and much more. Feel free to contact them with your questions by email or to request an appointment. For more details, click here.
- AURA Access to Undergraduate Research Opportunities - New from the Office of UG Research
- UPBM eNewsletter Class of 2021 Graduation Edition (.pdf edition)
- Biology Department Diploma Ceremony 2021 Slideshow
- Biology Department Diploma Ceremony 2021 Details for Seniors
- Biology Summer Course Offerings Summer 2021
- Virtual Learning Support Resources: Center for Excellence Teaching & Learning
- UR Solomon Island Field Course
- iGEMS International Genetically Engineered Machines BIOL 228a &b
- Past UPBM e-Newsletters
- First Year Course Planning: First Two Years
- Introductory Biology Courses: The difference between BIOL 110 and BIOL 112
- What if I have AP credits?
- How can I get involved in research?
- How do I register for an Independent Research (395) Course?
- What if I have transfer credits?