The University of Rochester’s Department of Biology has long been recognized as a leader in genetics research. While our faculty and students are united by a common interest in genetics, we address questions spanning a wide range of topics in molecular, cell, developmental, computational, and evolutionary biology. Examples include:
- What are the molecular mechanisms responsible for aging?
- What is the genomic basis for the origin of species?
Our department’s longstanding commitment to basic biological research offers students an engaging and vibrant educational environment.
At Rochester, the department features:
- Breadth and depth in the biological sciences
- Collaborative approaches to learning and discovery, including scientific interactions with the research faculty in the University’s School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Access to world-class professors
- A shared Leica SP5 confocal microscope, capable of four-color fluorescence imaging
- Opportunities for students to carry out cutting-edge research
- A diverse undergraduate curriculum, administered by the Undergraduate Program in Biology and Medicine
Our faculty, students, and graduates are inquisitive, resourceful problem solvers who go on to contribute to the scientific and medical communities, as well as to areas such as law, business, and technology.
Our department is committed to providing the best possible environment for all its members to learn, perform research, and work. This commitment includes cutting-edge research and an intellectually stimulating atmosphere as well as a safe and inclusive space.
We in the Department of Biology value integrity and workplace inclusivity. We strongly believe that our ability to excel in research and educating students is deeply rooted in engaging a diverse community. Therefore, we welcome and value students, faculty and staff who represent all axes of diversity. We are committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for everyone - including undergraduate and graduate students, researchers of all levels, staff, and faculty - to learn, work, and go about their daily business. We believe that we all have a role to play in building and maintaining a respectful environment and we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment. For more information about UR’s policies on diversity and inclusion, visit https://www.rochester.edu/diversity/.