Professor Niemiec is interested in human motivation, emotion, and personality in social contexts. His research uses self-determination theory to examine the nature and functional significance of autonomy in a variety of life's domains.
My research focuses on human motivation, emotion, and personality in social contexts from the perspective of self-determination theory. I use experimental methods to examine basic processes in the laboratory. As well, I use cross-sectional and longitudinal methods to test the application of these processes in a variety of life's domains (such as health care, education, and parenting) and cultures (such as Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, Russia, South Africa, Taiwan, and Turkey, among others).
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 181 Theories of Personality and Psychotherapy
- PSY 262 An Approach to Human Motivation
- PSY 301W Teaching Psychology
- Williams, G.C., & Niemiec, C.P. (2012). Positive affect and self-affirmation are beneficial, but do they facilitate maintenance of health-behavior change? A self-determination theory perspective. Archives of Internal Medicine, 172, 327-328.
- Niemiec, C.P., Brown, K.W., Kashdan, T.B., Cozzolino, P.J., Breen, W.E., Levesque-Bristol, C., & Ryan, R.M. (2010). Being present in the face of existential threat: The role of trait mindfulness in reducing defensive responses to mortality salience. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 344-365.
- Niemiec, C.P., Ryan, R.M., Patrick, H., Deci, E.L., & Williams, G.C. (2010). The energization of health-behavior change: Examining the associations among autonomous self-regulation, subjective vitality, depressive symptoms, and tobacco abstinence. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 5, 122-138.
- Niemiec, C.P., Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2009). The path taken: Consequences of attaining intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations in post-college life. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 291-306.
- Roth, G., Assor, A., Niemiec, C.P., Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2009). The emotional and academic consequences of parental conditional regard: Comparing conditional positive regard, conditional negative regard, and autonomy support as parenting practices. Developmental Psychology, 45, 1119-1142.
- Williams, G.C., Niemiec, C.P., Patrick, H., Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2009). The importance of supporting autonomy and perceived competence in facilitating long-term tobacco abstinence. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 37, 315-324.
- Niemiec, C.P., Ryan, R.M., Deci, E.L., & Williams, G.C. (2009). Aspiring to physical health: The role of aspirations for physical health in facilitating long-term tobacco abstinence. Patient Education and Counseling, 74, 250-257.
- Williams, G.C., Patrick, H., Niemiec, C.P., Williams, L.K., Divine, G., Lafata, J.E., Heisler, M., Tuncelli, K., & Pladevall, M. (2009). Reducing the health risks of diabetes: How self-determination theory may help improve medication adherence and quality of life. The Diabetes Educator, 35, 484-492.
- Soenens, B., Vansteenkiste, M., & Niemiec, C.P. (2009). Should parental prohibition of adolescents' peer relationships be prohibited? Personal Relationships, 16, 507-530.
- Niemiec, C.P., & Ryan, R.M. (2009). Autonomy, competence, and relatedness in the classroom: Applying self-determination theory to educational practice. Theory and Research in Education, 7, 133-144.
- Vansteenkiste, M., Neyrinck, B., Niemiec, C.P., Soenens, B., De Witte, H., & Van den Broek, A. (2007). On the relations among work value orientations, psychological need satisfaction and job outcomes: A self-determination theory approach. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 80, 251-277.
- Sheldon, K.M., & Niemiec, C.P. (2006). It's not just the amount that counts: Balanced need satisfaction also affects well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91, 331-341.
- Niemiec, C.P., Ahmad, I., Cheng, Y., Hamarta, E., Özyesil, Z., & Yu, S-H. (2012, April). Provision of choice and grade focus in the written narratives of students from four countries. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, Canada.
- Niemiec, C.P., & Deci, E.L. (2011, June). Contextual supports for autonomy and the development of high-quality relationships following mutual self-disclosure. Paper presented at the Sixth Self Biennial International Conference, Quebec City, Canada.
- Niemiec, C.P., & Brown, K.W. (2011, January). Being present in the face of existential threat: Mindful attention reduces defensive responses to mortality salience. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, San Antonio, TX.
- Niemiec, C.P. (2010, May). The importance of supporting autonomy to the development of high-quality relationships in the context of self-disclosure. Paper presented at the Fourth International Conference on Self-Determination Theory, Ghent, Belgium.
Select Honors and Distinctions
- 2012 - 2013 Professor of the Year in the Social Sciences