How to Apply
The application deadline for September 2017 admission for the clinical, developmental, or social-personality programs is December 1, 2016.
There is a $60 non-refundable application fee.
To submit an application:
Complete the University of Rochester online application. You will need to upload all of the required documents:
- Personal statement
- Official transcript(s)*
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE/TOEFL scores
*Please scan and upload an official or unofficial copy of your transcript(s) to your application. You will be required to provide the University with an official transcript upon acceptance.
- Scores less than five years old can be submitted
- The Advanced Psychology test is required for the Clinical Program*, for Social and Developmental programs this test is optional (*due to time constraints, for those who took the test in October, we will accept scores that arrive after December 1st.)
- Results of GREs taken in December may not reach us in time to consider with your application
If you do not meet one of the following criteria, you must fulfill the English proficiency examination requirement (IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE-Academic):
- You are a native speaker of English in your home environment
- You completed three or more years of secondary education at an American or international school where English is the primary language of instruction
GRE and TOEFL Codes
- Institution: 2928 (or new code: 7267) also applies to TOEFL
- Clinical: 2001
- Developmental: 2006
- Social-Personality: 2015
Applicants looking to join the developmental program should also review the developmental admissions page.
Most students who are accepted into our programs are granted a full tuition scholarship and receive a fellowship or assistantship supported by department funds or a research or training grant. The departmental stipend for incoming students during the 2016-2017 academic year is $20,000.
University Sproull Fellowships and Provost Minority Fellowships provide additional awards to graduate students of exceptional academic promise.
If you have additional questions please contact:
Additional Notes about Our Application Process
Reviewing of materials (and notifying candidates) will begin in December/January. Faculty of each area will conduct interviews with promising candidates in February. We will notify interviewees of their status before the University's April 15 deadline.
Because of the large number of applicants, interviews are arranged by invitation only. We regret that we cannot honor requests for interviews initiated by applicants.
Applicants who have completed graduate work at other universities are evaluated by the same criteria as other students. Transfer of credit for graduate work with approval can be made up to a state-mandated maximum of 30 hours, but these arrangements cannot be made until after an applicant is offered admission.