BS in Math Requirements
Foundational Course Requirement
The following foundational courses must be completed before acceptance into the major:
- MTH 161: Calculus IA
- MTH 162: Calculus IIA
- MTH 164: Multidimensional Calculus
- MTH 165: Linear Algebra with Differential Equations
Equivalent courses may be substituted for the above requirements:
- MTH 163 for MTH 165
- MTH 171, 172, and 174 for the equivalent MTH 161, 162, and 164
- MTH 173 for MTH 165
- MTH 141-143 for MTH 161-162
AP courses may also be used to satisfy foundational requirements.
Core Course Requirement
Students must complete the following five courses:
- MTH 235: Linear Algebra*
- MTH 236: Introduction to Algebra I
- MTH 240: Introduction to Topology
- MTH 265: Functions of a Real Variable I
- MTH 282: Introduction to Complex Variables with Applications
An honors version of a course can always be substituted for the listed course.
* The requirement that MTH 235 be taken can also be satisfied by completing MTH 173. MTH 235 should be taken early in the student's major program.
Advanced Course Requirement
In addition to the core courses, students must complete six 4-credit advanced courses as follows:
- Four advanced mathematics courses*
- Two additional advanced courses with substantial mathematical content
* Any mathematics course numbered 200 or above (excluding core courses) qualifies as an advanced mathematics course.
Upper Level Writing Requirement
To satisfy the upper level writing requirement, students must pass two upper level writing courses of a certain type.