BS in Applied Math Requirements
This page is for the old APM major which applies to class years 2021 or earlier. Class years 2022 or later see the new APM major page.
Foundational Course Requirement
The following foundational courses must be completed before acceptance into the major:
- MTH 161: Calculus IA
- MTH 162: Calculus IIA
- MTH 164: Multidimensional Calculus
- MTH 165: Linear Algebra with Differential Equations
- PHY 121: Mechanics
- PHY 122: Electricity and Magnetism
Equivalent courses can be substituted for the above requirements:
- MTH 171, 172, and 174 for the equivalent MTH 161, 162, and 164
- MTH 173 for MTH 165
- MTH 141-143 for MTH 161-162
AP courses can also be used to satisfy foundational requirements.
Core Course Requirement
Students must complete the following four courses:
- MTH 235: Linear Algebra*
- MTH 201: Introduction to Probability
- MTH 265: Functions of a Real Variable I
- MTH 282: Introduction to Complex Variables with Applications
An honors version of a course can always be substituted for the listed course.
* The requirement that MTH 235 be taken can also be satisfied by completing MTH 173. MTH 235 should be taken early in the student's major program.
Advanced Course Requirement
In addition to the core courses, students must complete five 4-credit advanced courses as follows:
- Three advanced mathematics courses*
- Two additional advanced courses with substantial mathematical content
* Any mathematics course numbered 200 or above (excluding core courses) qualifies as an advanced mathematics course.
Upper Level Writing Requirement
To satisfy the upper level writing requirement, students must pass two upper level writing courses of a certain type.