The Nuclear Science Research Group conducts radio-chemical and nuclear physics research in several areas:
Experiments with heavy ions at bombarding energies of tens of MeV per nucleon are performed at international accelerator laboratories. Theoretical analysis focuses on nucleon transport, the thermodynamics of hot, finite nuclei, and their decay by cluster emission and fission-like processes.
The group has developed a novel experimental platform at the UR Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE), employing laser induced ion acceleration for experiments studying direct transfer and fusion-type reactions for light nuclei. The effect of nuclear cluster structure on the reaction mechanism is of specific interest. New scientific opportunities are explored with the ultra-bright neutron beam produced by inertial-confinement fusion (ICF) at the Omega laser. The ICF platform is also used in studies of reactions relevant for nuclear astrophysics and fusion energy R&D.
In collaboration with LLE, the group’s nuclear & radiation chemistry program studies tritium adsorption on metal surfaces and its diffusion into bulk metal lattices. Tritium is generated in nuclear reactors, used as fuel in fusion reactors, and has industrial applications for a future “hydrogen economy.” Several current experiments measure tritium inventory of metal surfaces and lattices employing methods of thermal desorption and plasma ion sputtering.
- Nuclear Particle Correlations and Cluster Physics, W. U. Schröder, Editor, World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore, 2016, 400 pages (in press).
- "Dependence of Tritium Release on Temperature and Water Vapor from Stainless Steel," by W. T. Shmayda, M. Sharpe, A.M. Boyce, R. Shea, B. Petroski and W. U. Schröder, Fusion Science and Technology 68, 766 (2015).
- "Evidence for a Novel Reaction Mechanism of a Prompt Shock-InducedFission Following the Fusion of 78Kr and 40Ca Nuclei at E/A =10 MeV," by E. Henry, J. Tõke, S. Nyibule, M. Quinlan, W.U. Schröder and the ISODEC Collaboration, Report UR-NCUR 14-032, 2016. arXiv:1404.3758v1 [nucl-ex], 14 Apr 2014. https://arxiv.org/abs/1404.3758
- "Digital Gamma-Neutron Discrimination with Organic Plastic Scintillator EJ 299-33 ," by S. Nyibule, E. Henry, J. Tõke, W. Skulski, and W. U. Schröder. Progr. Physics 10, 163 (2014).
- "Birks Scaling of the particle Light Output Functions for the EJ 299-33 Plastic Scintillator," by S. Nyibule, E. Henry, W. U. Schröder, J. Tõke, and the CECIL Collaboration, Report UR-NCUR 13-031, 2013. Nuclear Instruments and Methods for Physics Research A 768, 141-144 (2014).
- "Spinodal Vaporization– a Critical and Imposing Decay Mode of Highly Excited Nuclear Systems," J. Tõke, and W.U. Schröder, Report UR-NCUR 13-030, 2013, Physics Letters B 734, 364 (2014).
- "Surface Boiling -An Obvious But Like No Other Decay Mode of Highly Excited Atomic Nuclei," J. Tõke, Yadernaya Phisica and Energy (English) 14 No. 2, (2013).
- "Radioluminescent Characteristics of the EJ 299-33 Plastic Scintillator," S. Nyibule, E. Henry, W. U. Schröder, J. Tõke, and the CECIL Collaboration, Report UR-NCUR 13-031, 2013
Nuclear Instruments and Methods for Physics ResearchA 728, 36 (2013). DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2013.06.020
- "Intermediate Mass Fragment Emission and Iso-scaling in Dissipative Ca+Sn Reactions at 45 A MeV," H. Singh, M. J. Quinlan, J. Tõke, I. Pawelczak, E. Henry, W. U. Schröder and the ISOCHIM Collaboration. Proc. Intern. Conf. Recent Trends in Nucl. Phys-2012, Chitkara Univ. (peer revd.) AIP Conf. Proc., 1524, 252 (2013), DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4801726
- "Decay modes of the systems formed in the reactions 78Kr+40Ca and 86Kr+48Ca." ISODEC Collaboration: M. La Commara, S. Pirrone, G. Politi, J.P. Wieleczko, G. Ademard, E. De Filippo, M. Vigilante, F. Amorini6, L. Auditore, C. Beck, I. Berceanu, E. Bonnet, B. Borderie, G. Cardella, A. Chbihi, M. Colonna, A. D’Onofrio, J. D. Frankland, E. Geraci, E. Henry, E. La Guidara, G. Lanzalone, P. Lautesse, D. Lebhertz, N. Le Neindre, I. Lombardo, D. Loria, K. Mazurek, A. Pagano, M. Papa, E. Piasecki, F. Porto, M. Quinlan, F. Rizzo, E. Rosato, P. Russotto, W. U. Schröder, G. Spadaccini, A. Trifir`o, J. Tõke, M. Trimarchi, and G. Verde3. EPJ Web of Conferences 31, 00022 (2012); DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/20123100022
- Pirrone, S., Politi, G., La Commara, M., Wieleczko, J. P., Ademard, G., De Filippo, E., Vigilante, M., Amorini, F., Auditore, L., Beck, C., Berceanu, I., Bonnet, E., Borderie, B., Cardella, G., Chbihi, A., Colonna, M., D’Onofrio, A., Frankland, J. D., Geraci, E., Henry, E., La Guidara, E., Lanzalone, G., Lautesse, P., Lebhertz, D., Le Neindre, N., Lombardo, I., Loria, D., Mazurek, K., Pagano, A., Papa, M., Piasecki, E., Porto, F., Quinlan, M., Rizzo, F., Rosato E., Russotto, P., Schroeder, W. U., Spadaccini, G., Trifirò, A., Toke, J., Trimarchi M., Verde, G. "ISODEC Experiment: Study and Comparison of the Decay Mode of 78Kr+40Ca and 86Kr+48Ca systems at 10 AMeV," EPJ Web of Conferences 2011, 17, 16010.
- Tõke J. and Schröder, W. U. "Surface Boiling – a New Type of Instability of Highly Excited Atomic Nuclei," Report UR-NCUR 2010, 10-26.2, arXiv. https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.3828
- PaweŁczak, I. A., Tõke, J., Henry, E., Quinlan, M., Singh, H., Schröder, W. U. "NSTAR -A Capture Gated Plastic Neutron Detector," Nucl. Instr. and Meth. in Phys. Res. A. 2011, 629, 230-238.