Students can apply to our graduate programs online through the University of Rochester Graduate Online Admission Application system.
There is a $60 application fee for applying to the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) graduate programs. If you have any difficulty accessing this application, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission to the EES graduate program is determined on an individual basis. Students with various backgrounds in science and mathematics may be admitted.
Applicants are generally expected to have degree in a STEM field with basic training in geology, environmental science or a related field, mathematics through differential equations, and two semesters each of chemistry and physics, but this is flexible based on area of specialization.
Please email email@example.com to request more information about these requirements.
Applications for admission should include:
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework done at other institutions
- Three letters of recommendation. Note that if possible, the letters should also specifically address the applicant’s writing ability
- A personal statement
- A sample of scientific writing (e.g., a thesis or a research paper from a course)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (optional for 2020 – 21 application cycle)
- TOEFL scores for applicants whose native language is not English (optional for 2020 – 21 application cycle)
Because of competition for admission and financial aid, applications should be submitted by January 15.
Financial aid is available in the form of teaching and research assistantships and fellowships. Well-qualified students may get additional support in the form of a University fellowship and/or summer scholarships.
Normally, PhD students are supported for five years, and receive a full tuition scholarship. Master’s students are treated on an individual basis, with many receiving partial or full tuition waivers.