Entry Year: 2018-2019
Faculty Mentor(s): Lisa Starr
475 Meliora Hall
Fax: (585) 273-1100
My research aims to advance understanding of the complex interplay of social, cognitive, and affective processes that impact well-being across the spectrum of psychological functioning. I am particularly interested in researching basic processes underlying the reciprocal relationship between breakdowns in interpersonal functioning and the development of internalizing symptoms (i.e., depression and anxiety).
- Santee, A.C., & Starr, L.R. (under review). Examining linear and nonlinear associations between negative emotional reactivity to daily events and depression among adolescents.
- Glenn, C.R., Kleinman, E.M., Kearns, J.C., Santee, A.C. Esposito, E.C., Conwell, Y., Alpert-Gillis, L.(in press). Feasability and acceptability of ecological momentary assessment in high-risk suicidal adolescents: following hospitalization. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2020.1741377
- Starr, L.R., Hershenberg, R. Shaw, Z.A. Li, Y.I., & Santee, A.C.(in press). The perils of murky emotions: Emotion differentiation moderates the link between naturalistic stress exposure and adolescent depression. Emotion. https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000630
- Starr, L.R., Shaw, Z. A., Li, Y.I., Santee, A.C., & Hershenberg, R. (in press). Negative emotion differentiation through a developmental lens: Associations with parental factors and age in adolescence. Personality and Individual Differences. https://doi.org/10/1016/i.paid.2019.109597
- *Kearns, J.C., *Coppersmith, D.D.L., Santee, A.C., Insel, C, Pigeon, W.R., & Glenn, C.R. (2020). Sleep problems and suicide risk in youth: A systematic review, developmental framework, and implications for hospital treatment. General Hospital Psychiartry, 63, 141-151.*Equal contribution. https://doi.org/10.1016/i.genhosppsych.2018.09.011
- Glenn, C.R., Kleiman, E.M., Coppersmith, D.D.L., Santee, A.C., Esposito, E.C., Cha, C.B., Nock, M.K., Auerbach, R.P. (2017). Implicit identification with death predicts change in suicide ideation during psychiatric treatment in adolescents. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 58(12), 1319-1329. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12769
- Glenn, C.R., Lanzillo, E.C., Esposito, E., Santee, A.C., Nock, M.K., & Auerbach, R.P. (2017). Examining the course of suicidal and nonsuicidal self-injurious thoughts and behaviors in outpatient and inpatient adolescents. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 45(5), 971-983. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-016-0214-0
- Santee, A.C., & Starr, L.R. (2020, May 21-24). Examining the longitudinal relationship between negative emotion differentiation and stress generation in adolescents. In J. Evereart (Chair), Mechanisms underlying anxiety, stress,and depressions: Novel insights from research on affect dynamics and emotion regulation in youths and adults [Symposium]. Association for Psychological Sciencec 32nd Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL United States. (Conference canceled due to COVID-19 public health crisis)
- Santee, A.C., & Starr, L.R. (2019, November 21-24). Examining the longitudinal relationship between negative emotion differentiation and stress generation in adolescents [Poster presentation]. Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies 53rd Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, United States.
- Santee, A. C., & Starr, L. R. (2019, September 19-22). Nonlinearity in associations between affective reactivity and depression among adolescents [Poster presentation]. Society for Research in Psychopathology Annual Meeting, Buffalo, NY, United States.
- Shaw, Z. A., Li, Y. I., Santee, A. C., Hershenberg, R., Starr, L. R. (2019, March 21-23). Developmental correlates of negative emotion differentiation in adolescence [Poster presentation]. Society for Research in Child Development Biennial Meeting, Baltimore, MD, United States.
- Starr, L. R., Shaw, Z. A., Li, Y. I., Santee, A. C., & Hershenberg, R. (2019, May 23-26). Negative emotion differentiation through a developmental lens: Associations with parental factors and age in adolescence. In K. Daniel (Chair), Regulating emotions effectively: New approaches to understanding effects of time, person, and development [Symposium]. Association for Psychological Science 31st Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, United States.
- Starr, L. R., Hershenberg, R., Shaw, Z. A., Li, Y. I., & Santee, A. C. (2019, May 23-26). The perils of murky emotions: A diathesis-stress model of negative emotion differentiation and depressive symptoms in adolescence. In L. Starr (Chair), Daily emotional in dynamics and transdiagnostic clinical outcomes: Leveraging ecological momentary assessment in psychopathology research [Symposium]. Association for Psychological Science 31st Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, United States.
- Santee, A. C., Nock, M. K., & Glenn, C. R. (2016, March 30-April 2). Acquired capability for suicide: A multimethod prospective study of suicidal behavior in youth [Poster presentation]. Association of Suicidology 49th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, United States.
- 2013: Wonnacott Award, Middlebury College
- 2012-2013: Psi Chi, International Honor Society in Psychology
- 2009-2013: College Scholar and Dean's List, Middlebury College
- 2015-2018: Lab Manager, Youth Risk and Resilience (YR2) Lab, University of Rochester (PI: Dr. Cassie Glenn)
- 2017-2018: Clinical Research Coordinator, Helping Older People Engage (HOPE) Lab, University of Rochester Medical Center (PI: Dr. Kimberly Van Orden)
- 2012-2013: Research Assistant, Children's Memory Project Lab, Middlebury College (PI: Dr. Michelle McCauley)
- 2013: Bachelor of Arts with High Honors in Psychology (Minor: Education Studies), Middlebury College