The Department of Music's thirteen faculty-directed ensembles are regularly scheduled 1-credit classes, open by audition [see below] to all students on the River Campus.
Those interested in participating in small chamber-music groups may take the 1-credit course, MUR 155 Chamber Ensembles. An audition is required, as well as permission from the Director of Orchestral Activities.
A description of each ensemble can be found in our music ensemble descriptions PDF.
[Please note that the 2020/2021 Concerto Competition has been canceled due to COVID-19 restrictions].
There are student-directed groups abound on campus, as well. Several a cappella groups are informally supported by the music department, although participation in them does not earn collegiate credit. There are many more vocal and instrumental groups operating independently, some having been in existence for several years, others forming rather spontaneously from a number of students with a common interest.
- Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra
- Wind Symphony
- Jazz Ensemble
- Brass Choir
- Rock Repertory
- West African Drumming Ensemble
Please note that, due to COVID-19 restrictions, most, if not all auditions will be held online.
Auditions are held in the fall of each year. Unless otherwise indicated (*) click on the links below to select and register for a specific audition time.
- August 24-25, 1PM-4PM
- Chamber Orchestras [Strings only]
- Symphony Orchestras [Strings only]
- Chamber Ensembles
- Audition Requirements for URCO/URSO & Chamber Ensembles: Students should prepare a 3-5 minute solo or solo excerpt of the individual's choice. In addition, students should be prepared to play the following major scales in 3 octaves: CM, GM, DM, AM, EM, BM, FM, BbM, EbM, AbM, and the following minor scales (natural, harmonic, and melodic) in 2-3 octaves: a minor, e minor, b minor, f# minor, d minor, g minor, and c minor. I will select one major and one minor scale for each student to perform at their audition.
- August 24-25, 1PM-4PM
- August 27-28, 1:30PM - 3:30PM; September 1, 1:30PM-2:30PM
- August 23-24, 4PM-6PM
- *West African Drumming Ensemble: Contact Kerfala Bangoura at firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Sansifanyi: Contact Kerfala Bangoura at email@example.com
- *Rock Repertory Ensemble: TBA; contact Dr. John Covach at firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Gospel Choir: Simply show up at the first rehearsal in Lattimore 201, date to be determined.