The Department of Music's thirteen faculty-directed ensembles are regularly scheduled 1-credit classes, open by audition to all students on the River Campus.
Those interested in participating in small chamber-music groups may take the 1-credit course, MUR 155 Chamber Ensembles. An audition is required, as well as permission from the Director of Orchestral Activities.
A description of each ensemble can be found in our music ensemble descriptions PDF.
The River Campus Concerto Competition provides students the opportunity to compete to be a guest soloist in a public concerto performance with either the Symphony Orchestra or Chamber Orchestra. The Competition will take place on MONDAY, November 25, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. in Strong Auditorium. Any full or part-time UR River Campus student working toward a degree may apply to compete (please see the application for details).
There are student-directed groups abound on campus, as well. Several a cappella groups are informally supported by the music department, although participation in them does not earn collegiate credit. There are many more vocal and instrumental groups operating independently, some having been in existence for several years, others forming rather spontaneously from a number of students with a common interest.
- Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra
- Wind Symphony
- Jazz Ensemble
- Brass Choir
- Percussion Ensemble
- Rock Repertory
- West African Drumming Ensemble
Auditions are held in the fall of each year. Unless otherwise indicated (*) click on the links below to select and register for a specific audition time.
- Aug. 27, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Aug. 28, 9 a.m. – 2:10 p.m., in Strong Auditorium
- Aug. 24, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. and Aug. 27, 12 p.m. - 4 p.m. in Dewey Hall, Room 1-337
- Aug. 29 & 30, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. and Sept. 3, 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. in O'Brien Hall
- Aug. 25 & 26, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. in Dewey Hall, Room 1-305
- *Jazz Combos: Contact Robert MacPartland at email@example.com
- *West African Drumming Ensemble: Contact Kerfala Bangoura at firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Sansifanyi: Contact Kerfala Bangoura at email@example.com
- *Percussion Ensemble: TBA; contact Connor Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Rock Repertory Ensemble: TBA; contact Dr. John Covach at email@example.com
- *Gospel Choir: Simply show up at the first rehearsal in Lattimore 201 on September 3 at 5 p.m.