The Arthur Satz Department of Music's thirteen faculty-directed ensembles are regularly scheduled 1-credit classes, open by audition [see below] to all students on the River Campus.
Those interested in participating in small chamber-music groups may take the 1-credit course, MUSC 155 Chamber Ensembles. An audition is required, as well as permission from the Director of Orchestral Activities.
If your interest is jazz in a smaller group setting with an emphasis on improvisation, you may take the 1-credit course, MUSC 157A Jazz Combos. An audition is required.
A description of each ensemble can be found in our music ensemble descriptions PDF.
There are student-directed groups abound on campus, as well. Several a cappella groups are informally supported by the music department, although participation in them does not earn collegiate credit. There are many more vocal and instrumental groups operating independently, some having been in existence for several years, others forming rather spontaneously from a number of students with a common interest.
- Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra
- Chamber Ensembles (small chamber-music groups)
- Wind Symphony
- Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Combos (small jazz groups)
- Brass Choir
- Rock Repertory
- West African Drumming Ensemble
- *Video of playing sample due by September 6 at 5:00 PM (no in-person or live auditions).
- Enrollment Requirements for Chamber Music Ensembles:Fall 23 Chamber Music Info Form by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, September 6, 2023. Each student (new or returning) wishing to participate in a chamber music ensemble must fill out an individual form. In the online form, students are asked to include a link to a video of a solo playing sample (there will be no live auditions).Submit the
If either of the following applies to you, you are NOT required to submit a playing sample video:
Playing sample video requirements:email@example.com). -Upload one video containing all audition repertoire to YouTube as an "unlisted" video (Information for uploading to YouTube and privacy settings ("unlisted") may be found on YouTube and on the web). For any questions, please contact Jennifer Carpenter at firstname.lastname@example.org.-Three to five (3-5) minutes of a solo piece representative of your playing. -If it is not possible to provide a recording of a solo piece, or you have questions about the video requirement, please ask Jennifer Carpenter (
- If you participated in chamber ensembles at any point during the 2021-2023 school years, you do not need to include a video.
- If you have a fully pre-formed chamber group, you do not need to include a video.