BS in Math Requirements
Foundational Course Requirement
The following foundational courses must be completed before acceptance into the major:
- MATH 161: Calculus IA
- MATH 162: Calculus IIA
- MATH 164: Multidimensional Calculus
- MATH 165: Linear Algebra with Differential Equations
Equivalent courses may be substituted for the above requirements:
- MATH 163 for MATH 165
- MATH 171, 172, and 174 for the equivalent MATH 161, 162, and 164
- MATH 173 for MATH 165
- MATH 141-143 for MATH 161-162
AP courses may also be used to satisfy foundational requirements.
Core Course Requirement
Students must complete the following five courses:
- MATH 235: Linear Algebra*
- MATH 236: Introduction to Algebra I
- MATH 240: Introduction to Topology
- MATH 265: Functions of a Real Variable I
- MATH 282: Introduction to Complex Variables with Applications
An honors version of a course can always be substituted for the listed course.
* The requirement that MATH 235 be taken can also be satisfied by completing MATH 173. MATH 235 should be taken early in the student's major program.
Advanced Course Requirement
In addition to the core courses, students must complete six 4-credit advanced courses as follows:
- Four advanced mathematics courses*
- Two additional advanced courses with substantial mathematical content
* Any mathematics course numbered 200 or above (excluding core courses) qualifies as an advanced mathematics course.
Upper Level Writing Requirement
To satisfy the upper level writing requirement, students must pass two upper level writing courses of a certain type.