Honors BA Requirements
The deadline for signing up for Honors BA is March 1 of the senior year. The deadline for presenting the talk is April 1 of the senior year. If you are considering graduate school in mathematics you should visit this page and check out the sample schedules here.
Foundational Course Requirement
The following foundational courses must be completed before acceptance into the concentration:
- MATH 171: Honors Calculus I
- MATH 172: Honors Calculus II
- MATH 173: Honors Calculus III
- MATH 174: Honors Calculus IV
Note: Alternatively, students may satisfy the Foundational Course Requirement by completing MATH 161, 162, 164, 165 and 235. Equivalent courses may be substituted for the above. Credit granted for AP courses may be used to satisfy foundational requirements.
Core Course Requirement
Students must complete the following three courses:
- MATH 236H: Introduction to Algebra I (Honors)
- MATH 240H: Introduction to Topology (Honors)
- MATH 265H: Functions of a Real Variable I (Honors)
Advanced Course Requirement
Students must complete four 4-credit advanced mathematics courses, at least two of which are at the graduate level.*
* Any mathematics course numbered 200 or above (excluding core courses) qualifies as an advanced mathematics course. Any mathematics course numbered 400 or above qualifies as a graduate level course. Graduate courses substituted in the core are not counted in the two towards the advanced requirement. For example, a student taking MATH 440 in place of MATH 240H must still take two graduate courses in addition to 440.
Independent Research Project
Students will work on an independent research project with the agreement and under the close supervision of a faculty member in mathematics. Students should sign up for Math 395W (2 credits) with the supervising professor.
Upon completion, students will submit a written report on the project to the department's Honors Committee and present a one-hour public talk at which the members of the committee are in attendance. More detailed information is available here.
Samples of past honors papers can be found here.
Grade Point Average Requirement
Students must complete the program with at least a 3.25 grade point average in order to qualify for the Honors BA in mathematics.
Upper Level Writing Requirement
To satisfy the upper level writing requirement, students must pass two upper level writing courses of a certain type.