Skip to main content

Undergraduate Program

Declaring a Major or Minor

How to Declare

Remote Planning Worksheets

Given the disruption caused by COVID-19, the Department of History has designed a remote edition of the major and minor planning worksheets. This does not change the advising process. Students are still required to speak to their history faculty advisors before submitting their worksheets.

The remote planning worksheets are identical to the hard copies we usually require with two minor differences:

  1. Instead of turning in the forms to the main office, students will email their worksheets to the director of undergraduate studies at and to
  2. Since in-person meetings cannot take place at the moment, faculty advisor signatures are optional on this form. After the director of undergraduate studies receives the planning worksheet, they will write the student's faculty advisor to confirm the information on the form. The director of graduate studies will then sign the form and students will be notified by the Department of History.

Remote planning worksheets:

Declaring a major or minor in history is the first step on your path to becoming educated on the many facets of humanity's past.

  1. Pick up a major or minor planning worksheet from the Department of History office, Rush Rhees 364. Note: This worksheet is not optional; you must complete it and return it to the office, RR 364.
  2. Make an appointment with a professor in an area in which you are particularly interested or whose class you particularly enjoyed. This professor will become your major or minor advisor. For faculty information you can visit our faculty page.
  3. At the meeting, you will discuss your proposed program of study and fill out the major or minor planning worksheet. Both you and your advisor must sign it.
  4. Bring your planning worksheet to the Department of History office, RR 364. The director of undergraduate studies will sign your worksheet, at which point it will be emailed to you. Your major or minor declaration will not be approved if you submit it before your worksheet is signed.
  5. Complete the electronic declaration form.
    1. Enter your NetID and Password, and select "Declare a New Major/Minor."
    2. Enter your student information in the first section.
    3. Using the information on the planning worksheet, fill out the "Major/Minor Declaration Information" section.
    4. Fill out the "Primary Writing Requirement" section.
    5. In the "Rochester Curriculum Registration" section, you will need to enter your major/minor as History under the "Social Sciences" section. In the remaining sections you will enter your clusters or minors in Humanities and Natural Sciences.
    6. Click submit. You will receive an email verifying your declaration has been submitted, and from there it will be reviewed and approved by the department.

Congratulations! You are now a history major or minor.

Note: The forms do not commit you to take every course you list. Rather, they set down a plan from which you will launch your major and serve as a reminder of your interests as you proceed. However, any changes to this plan should be reviewed with your advisor and approved by the director of undergraduate studies and may require submission of a formal revision or a new department planning worksheet and declaration form.