I was trained as a Modern Russian historian with a particular interest in women’s and religious history, but since the publication of my book, Mother of the Church: Sofia Svechina, the Salon, and the Politics of Catholicism in Nineteenth-Century Russia and France (Northern Illinois University Press, 2016; winner of 2018 Harry Koenig Book Award, American Catholic Historical Association), I have broadened my research to add such topics as masculinity, gender and environment, ecofeminism, and gender and national identity. I am currently working on a new book project, How Khrushchev and Brezhnev Went Hunting with Fidel Castro: Political Masculinity and Nature Diplomacy in the Soviet Union.As one of the recipients of 2016 University of Rochester Research Award, I also work on an oral history research project in Ladakh, India (with Professor Stewart Weaver) where our team conducts a study on local community’s resilience and adaptation to climate change.
- 2021: Public Outreach Award, American Society for Environmental History
- 2020: Goergen Teaching Award, University of Rochester
- 2018: Harry Koenig Book Award, American Catholic Historical Association
- 2016: University of Rochester Research Award
Graduate Research Fields
I am not accepting new graduate student advisees for our MA and PhD programs.
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- GSW 105: Sex and Power
- GSW 200/W: History of Feminism/Colloquium in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
- HIST 200: The Politics of Sport: Race, Gender, and National Identity in Athletic Competition
- HIST 100: The Case of Sherlock Holmes: Race, Gender, and Crime in the British Empire
- HIST 256: Politics of Nature: Race, Gender, and the Environment
Selected Publication Covers
- Including Students in Academic Conversations: Principles and Strategies for Teaching Theme-Based Writing Courses across the Disciplines (with Deborah Rossen-Knill) (Hampton Press, 2011)
- “Education in the United States” in American society: Essays on history and culture (St. Petersburg: University of St. Petersburg, 2008)
- “Russian Catholicism and the Collapse of the Ideals of the Enlightenment” in Nauka, Religiia i Obstchetvo: Sbornik Statei vol. 36 (2006): 84 – 99.
- “Russian Catholicism in the First Quarter of 19th Century: New Look” in Religiovedenie (Study of Religion) 4 (2005): 30 – 41.