Professor of Political Science
& by appointment
PhD, Chicago, 1991. Pragmatist political thought, democratic theory, philosophy of social science, and cultural theories of politics. Teaches social and political theory at the University of Rochester where
he has received the Goergen Award for Distinguished Achievement and Artistry in Undergraduate
Teaching (2003). He has been Visiting Scholar at the Russell Sage Foundation (2002-2003) and
is former Editor Perspectives on Politics (2004-2009) and Co-Editor, Journal of Theoretical
Politics (2000-2005). He has served on the Editorial Board of both the American Journal of
Political Science (1996-1998) and the American Political Science Review (2001-2007). He was
Program Co-Chair of the 2005 Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association.
Professor Johnson is a long time member of the teaching faculty at the ICPSR Summer Program
in Quantitative Methods of Social Research.
Professor Johnson's current research traverses pragmatist political thought, democratic theory, philosophy of social science, and cultural theories of politics. Professor Johnson is co-author, with Jack Knight, of The Priority of Democracy: Political Consequences of Pragmatism, which was published by Princeton University Press in 2011. His academic papers have appeared in the American Journal of Political Science, the American Political Science Review, the British Journal of Political Science, the Annual Review of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, the Journal of Theoretical Politics, Political Theory, and Politics, Philosophy & Economics.
Professor Johnson has, since September 2005, been keeping a web blog "Politics, Theory & Photography."
- PSCI 104 Introduction to Political Philosophy
- PSCI 121 Democracy in America
- PSCI 282 Art and Politics
- PSCI 283 Contemporary Political Theory
- PSCI 284 Democratic Theory
- PSCI 285 Strategy and Politics
- PSCI 287 Theories of Political Economy
- PSCI 294 Political Economy of African-American Communities
- PSCI 380 Scope of Political Science
- PSCI 383 Culture and Politics
- PSCI 480 Scope of Political Science
- PSCI 482 Art and Politics
- PSCI 484 Democratic Theory
- PSCI 487 Theories of Political Economy
- PSCI 581 Foundations of Political Theory
- PSCI 583 Culture and Politics