Resources for Master's Students

Handbook and policies

In the master's handbook is a description of our three master's program in linguistics, the requirements for completing the programs, a list of the graduate courses and course descriptions, a timeline, and more.

Master's handbook (PDF)

Important policies

Guidance and timelines

The PhD program in linguistics is a rigorous program with many requirements and deadlines to keep track of. The following resources will help guide you through your program.

Current courses

View our course catalog and currently offered courses below.


All of the following forms must be sent to department manager, regardless of where it says to send it on the form itself because the department must be involved in processing them.

There are other important forms not listed here because they must be filled out by the department, some of which will take place automatically (anything to do with your program progress), and others which you must request be filled out on your behalf (for example, leave requests) These include but are not limited to:

  • F1 student employment verification letter - used to prove your student employment so you can apply for a SSN
  • Check form - clears a student for degree conferral, pending the completion of the final requirements
  • Exam appointment form - used to schedule your Plan A thesis defense, must be submitted 10 business days prior to the defense (not applicable to Plan B students)
  • Exam report form - used to document the result of your thesis defense/essay presentation (must be within a week of the defense)
  • Program of study - used to document and verify the courses and research credits used to satisfy your degree requirements
  • Incomplete contract - creates an agreement between. graduate student and an instructor regarding the work that must be completed to change an I grade
  • Fullbright program verification form - used to verify your program progress and financial aid for Fullbright

Frequently asked questions

How many credits of research can I take?

If you're a Plan A student (thesis), you must take between six and ten credits of research, independent study, and/or internship. If you're a Plan B student (non-thesis), the maximum number of credits of research, independent study, and/or internship is six.

How can students stay updated on RA opportunities and faculty leaves?

The department activity report is published prior to each semester, and it showcases current research going on in the department, potential opportunities to be involved in research, and advance notice of faculty leaves for planning advisor coverage.

What's the difference between a Master's Thesis, a Master's Essay, and a Master's Exam?

The Department of Linguistics offers two general paths of study. Plan A is a research track for students who come with prior coursework in linguistics and a research project in mind, in which they develop a thesis. Plan B is focused on providing students with a background in contemporary linguistics and linguistic subfields through coursework and a final Master’s Essay. Both Plan A and Plan B students must present their thesis/essay in their final semester. There is the option to instead take an exam (for Plan B students only), but it's uncommon and must be approved by the Director of Graduate Studies well in advance.

Can I receive credit for my teaching assistantships?

Yes, to receive credit for a teaching assistantship, you must register for LING 590 Supervised Teaching with the instructor you're a TA for. If a section doesn't exist for the instructor you need, email the department manager who can create a section for you to register for.

This is a good way to maintain full-time status if you happen to be one credit short of nine in a given semester. TAships are not gauranteed to master's students because it's a requirement for PhD students, which means they get priority.