Graduate Student Residency

1. Students who plan to be non-resident during the academic year for more than a brief period of time (e.g. one month) must make written application to the dean of graduate studies in advance of their plans. Such leave will usually be granted providing acceptable explanation. Students must register in one of the following categories:

  • Full-time student (999 or 997)
  • Part-time status (995), or leave of absence (985)
  • A student cannot be employed and retain full time status

2. Fellowships are not normally provided to full-time students who aren't in residence. A non-resident student needs to apply, explicitly, for this support to continue. It will be granted at the sole discretion of the director of graduate studies and requires verification of full-time study/research by your supervisor. Stipend support will not be provided to students who do off-site teaching or contract research.

3. In the graduate bulletin it states that: "It should be noted that registration of '985: Leave of Absence' does count toward the degree time limit." The graduate dean interprets this statement as implying that the time spent on leave of absence is deducted off of any time awarded for tuition scholarships, etc -- just as if you had remained in residence for that time.

So, please take this into account when applying for a leave of absence.