Skip to main content

Undergraduate Program

Research Opportunities

The Chemistry Department provides a variety of opportunities for undergraduates to participate in research programs during the academic year and the summer. Faculty members welcome undergraduates in their research groups and usually arrange a close collaboration with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. These symbiotic interactions provide opportunities for students to work with the latest equipment and ideas in modern chemical science, in an environment that provides close mentoring and support.

Usually undergraduate research is handled with a CHM 393/CHM 395 courses. One year (eight credit hours) of CHM393 Senior research is required as part of the BS degree, and is optional for students selecting the BA degree.  An undergraduate may also work with a professor as part of his/her research team during their first, second, or third years. Often this is done as CHM 395: Independent Research.

Some chemistry majors choose to perform undergraduate research in other departments (e.g., biochemistry, pharmacology, etc.) either as part of their chemistry degree requirements, or as independent study courses. If you are interested in joining a laboratory, please get in touch with the professor you wish to work with.

Below are some general steps for conducting research as an undergraduate:

  • Do well academically and explore your interests and goals
  • Network
  • Survey the landscape of opportunities
  • Contact professors with whom you'd like to work
  • Take appropriate research methods courses and attend seminars
  • Consider a summer research experience
  • Maintain a positive working relationship with your mentor

For more information, please see:

Registration Process and Forms

CHM 393 Senior Research no longer uses the online “Independent Study Form”. Instead, students will register online as they do for other courses.  There is a CRN for each Instructor for CHM 393.   You will need to meet with the Instructor and discuss their expectations, and get their permission to register.

CHM 395 Independent Research requires an “Independent Study Form”, where the student and advisor will agree to the number of credits hours the study will be worth, a title, grading criteria and more.