Thank you for your interest in applying to our graduate program. The priority deadline for submitting the online application is December 15.
There is no need to send or forward hard copies of any required document. You will have the chance to attach your personal statement and resume at the end of the application.
Below is information on the following:
- Application fee
- Application deadline
- Financial aid
- Standardized tests
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- Equal opportunity policy
For further information on applying to our graduate program, please contact:
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Hutchison Hall 471
Phone: (585) 275-0635
No application fee is required. Note that this differs from other departments at the University of Rochester, so you may disregard references to application fees within the online application system.
The priority deadline for submitting the application materials for admission to the graduate program in the Department of Chemistry is December 15. Applications received after the priority deadline will still be accepted and processed but will be given consideration according to the availability of positions in the program.
Full tuition scholarships are awarded to all chemistry graduate students, and they receive a living stipend ($26,500 for the 2015-2016 academic year). Graduate student funding is guaranteed for the duration of the graduate career, provided the student is meeting the standards of PhD work in the department.
In addition, the department provides entering students with a professional development and travel allowance to present their research at a scientific meeting.
The University also has several merit fellowships for which students become eligible at various times throughout their studies. Students may be eligible to receive one or more of the fellowships, depending on academic and research performance.
The criteria for the fellowships differ:
- Fellowship selection early in graduate school is based on excellence in courses and exams
- Fellowship selection later is based on research accomplishment
Currently available fellowships are:
- Department of Education GAANN Fellowships: Awarded to students with excellent academic records who demonstrate financial need and are US citizens or permanent residents.
- Sherman-Clarke Fellowships: Eligible in first and second years, based on coursework and TA performance.
- Ewart Fellowships: Eligible in third year, based on coursework, teaching, initial research, and performance on qualifying examination.
- Weissberger, DeRight, and Lattimore Fellowships: Eligible in fourth and fifth years, based on research accomplishment.
- Moses Passer Fellowship: Awarded annually to a deserving doctoral student on the basis of his/her academic scholarship.
- Hooker and Messersmith Fellowships: Eligible after qualifying exam; University fellowships based on overall accomplishment.
- Sproull, Provost and University Fellowships: University fellowships based on special promise in graduate work.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is NOT required to apply to the graduate program in chemistry at Rochester.
TOEFL and IELTS
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. If your native language is not English and you completed your secondary or higher education in a non-native English speaking country, you must take the Duolingo English Test, TOEFL, or IELTS to demonstrate English language proficiency.The University TOEFL code is 7267.
Students choosing to submit TOEFL scores may submit results from the TOEFL iBT or Paper-Delivered Test administered at proctored test locations. Due to COVID-19, we will also accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition Test.
|Duolingo English Test|
|TOEFL iBT or Paper-Delivered Test ||100|
The required Statement of Purpose explains why you are applying to the University of Rochester for graduate study. Describe your research experiences as well as future research goals for your intended field of study. As part of this statement, applicants should indicate at least three faculty of interest as potential PhD advisors. Please supply detailed comments supporting these selections.
Electronic copies of either unofficial or official transcripts are accepted as part of the online application system. It is not necessary to have official copies sent to the department.
Letters of Recommendation
While completing the online application, you will be asked to provide the names and contact information for the three (3) persons that you are asking to recommend you for graduate school. These individuals will receive an email directly from the application system with a link and instructions on how to upload their letter of recommendation.
Equal Opportunity Policy
The University of Rochester provides equal opportunity in admissions and student aid regardless of sex, age, race, color, creed, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and national or ethnic origin. Furthermore, the University complies with all applicable nondiscrimination laws.