Professor Nadine Grimm joined the Department of Linguistics in October 2014.
Interests: Descriptive linguistics, Language documentation and description, African languages, Fieldwork, Typology, Language contact and change
PhD in African Linguistics [magna cum laude]. 2015. Humboldt University Berlin, Germany, Department of Asian and African Studies. Dissertation: A Grammar of Gyeli. Advisors: Prof. Tom Güldemann and Prof. Maarten Mous
MA in African Studies, German Linguistics, and French. April 2006 - February 2010. Humboldt University Berlin, Germany, Department of Asian and African Studies. Thesis: The Numeral System of Ikaan.
BA in General Linguistics and French. October 2002 - March 2006. University of Bielefeld, Germany.
Projects and Grants:
- NSF BCS-1535846: Causality Across Language. August 2015 - current. Role: Collaborator, PI: Prof. Jürgen Bohnemeyer, SUNY Buffalo.
- Volkswagen Foundation "DoBeS" (Documentation of Endangered Languages) Project on Bakola/Bagyeli (Cameroon). Research Grant. April 2010 - August 2014.
- Hans Rausing Foundation: Endangered Languages Project on Ikaan (Nigeria).
- Fieldwork Grant. January - March 2008.
- Fellow of the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes). February 2007 - December 2009.
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- LIN 387: Topics in Linguistic Research, Fall 2015
- LIN 389: Senior Seminar, Spring 2018
- LIN 104: Language and Culture, Fall 2016 and 2017
- LIN 270/470: Tools in Language Documentation, Fall terms
- LIN 271/471: Field Methods in Linguistic Description 1 (Spring terms)
- LIN 272/472 : Field Methods in Linguistic Description 2 (Fall terms)
- Grimm, Nadine. A Grammar of Gyeli. In preparation. Dissertation defense version from 2015.
- Grimm, Nadine. Implosives in Bantu A80? The case of Gyeli. In press. Proceedings of the 47th Annual Conference of African Linguistics.
- Borchardt, Nadine. (2012) Agreement in Ikaan compound numerals. In: Brenzinger, Matthias & Anne-Maria Fehn (Ed.). Proceedings of the 6th WOCAL World Congress of African Linguistics. Köln: Rüdiger Köppe.
- Borchardt, Nadine. (2011) The numeral system of Ikaan, a Benue-Congo language of Nigeria. Asien- und Afrikastudien der Humboldt-Unversität zu Berlin. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.