- Assistant Professor in Philosophy
PhD, Washington University in St. Louis, 2017
523 Lattimore Hall
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 2:00-3:00 (PHIL 252/452); Thursdays 2:00-3:00 (PHIL 110) and by appointment
- Philosophy of Psychology
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Mind
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- PHIL 110: Logic
- PHIL 244/444: Philosophy of Mind
- PHIL 375: Philosophy of Brain and Cognitive Science
- Craver, Carl F., Stuart Glennan, and Mark Povich. “Constitutive Relevance and Mutual Manipulability Revisited,” Synthese.
- Povich, Mark. “Information and Explanation: An Inconsistent Triad and Solution,” European Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Povich, Mark. “Modality and Constitution in Distinctively Mathematical Explanations,” European Journal for the Philosophy of Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13194-020-00292-y
- Povich, Mark. “Mechanistic Explanation in Psychology,” in The SAGE Handbook of Theoretical Psychology. (Eds.) Hank Stam and Huib Looren de Jong.
- Povich, Mark. “The Narrow Ontic Counterfactual Account of Distinctively Mathematical Explanation,” British Journal for the Philosophy of Science. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjps/axz008
- (2019). Povich, Mark. “Model-Based Cognitive Neuroscience: Multifield Mechanistic Integration in Practice,” Theory & Psychology, 29(5), 640–656. https://doi.org/10.1177/0959354319863880
- (2018). Povich, Mark and Carl F. Craver. “Review of Marc Lange's Because Without Cause: Non-Causal Explanations in Science and Mathematics,” Philosophical Review, 127, 422–6. https://doi.org/10.1215/00318108-6718870
- (2018). Povich, Mark. “Social Knowledge and Supervenience Revisited,” Erkenntnis, 83, 1033–43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10670-017-9926-y
- (2018). Povich, Mark. “Minimal Models and the Generalized Ontic Conception of Scientific Explanation,” British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 69, 117–37. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjps/axw019
- (2017). Craver, Carl F. and Mark Povich. “The Directionality of Distinctively Mathematical Explanations,” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 63, 31–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shpsa.2017.04.005
- (2017). Povich, Mark and Carl F. Craver. “Mechanistic Levels, Reduction, and Emergence,” in The Routledge Handbook of Mechanisms and Mechanical Philosophy. (Eds.) Stuart Glennan and Phyllis Illari, 185–97.
- (2015). Povich, Mark. “Mechanisms and Model-Based Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging,”
Philosophy of Science, 82, 1035–46. https://doi.org/10.1086/683438