The Department of English offers a track in creative writing for students who want to explore the art of writing and refine their skills in critical reading.
Students work intensively on their own imaginative writing (fiction, poetry, and playwriting) in conjunction with the study of literature. Students wishing to pursue a concentration in creative writing must apply to the creative writing advisor in the department and receive written approval.
• A minimum of ten, 4-credit courses are required for the major (for a minimum total of 40 credit hours).
• The upper-level writing requirement is fulfilled by completion of the major.
Four courses as follows:
- Two of the following:
- ENGL 121: Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENGL 122: Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENGL 123: Playwriting
- ENGL 125: Speculative Fiction
- One of the following courses:
- ENGL 275: Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENGL 276: Advanced Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENGL 277: Screenwriting
- One of the following:
- ENGL 375: Seminar in Fiction Writing
- ENGL 376: Seminar in Poetry Writing
Two of the following courses:
- ENGL 112: Classical and Scriptural Backgrounds
- ENGL 113: British Literature I
- ENGL 114: British Literature II
- ENGL 115: American Literature