The Department of English offers a track in creative writing for students who want to explore the art of writing and refine their skills in critical reading.
Students work intensively on their own imaginative writing (fiction, poetry, and playwriting) in conjunction with the study of literature. Students wishing to pursue a concentration in creative writing must apply to the creative writing advisor in the department and receive written approval.
A minimum of ten, 4-credit courses are required for the major (for a minimum total of 40 credit hours).
Four courses as follows:
- Two of the following:
- ENG 120: Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENG 121: Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENG 122: Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENG 123: Playwriting
- ENG 125: Speculative Fiction
- One of the following courses:
- ENG 275: Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction
- ENG 276: Advanced Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENG 277: Screenwriting
- One of the following:
- ENG 375: Seminar in Fiction Writing
- ENG 376: Seminar in Poetry Writing
Two of the following courses:
- ENG 112: Classical and Scriptural Backgrounds
- ENG 113: British Literature I
- ENG 114: British Literature II
- ENG 115: American Literature