CIRC Spring Workshop
April 06, 2018
10:00 AM - 04:00 PM
VISTA Collaboratory on the 1st Floor of the Carlson Library
The Center for Integrated Research Computing (CIRC) will host its next workshop on Friday, April 6th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the VISTA Collaboratory on the first floor of Carlson Library.
This is a good event to learn more about the BlueHive computing environment!
The morning sessions are targeted for new and beginning users, and the afternoon sessions will cover a few more in-depth topics and new tools and applications that are available for the research community.
All workshop attendees should bring their own laptops and have a computing account on BlueHive.
There is no registration for the workshop… Just show up at the times for the sessions as desired.
Getting Connected (10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
• Duo authentication
• Connecting to BlueHive and CIRC services (Terminal/PuTTY, X2Go, and FastX)
• On-campus vs. off-campus connectivity
Overview of BlueHive and CIRC Environment (10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.)
• Overview of the BlueHive computing environment
• Clustered computing and sharing resources
• Login node vs. compute node
Introduction to Linux (11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
• Beginner's introduction to Linux and the command line environment
• Basic Linux commands
• How to navigate files and directories
• Techniques for viewing and editing files
Lunch Will Be Provided (12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Slurm Resource Management and Running Jobs on BlueHive (12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
• How to submit and run jobs interactively and in batch mode on BlueHive
• Slurm commands
• Setup of Slurm scripts
• Running jobs in parallel
• Best practices for using BlueHive
Modules and Software (1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
• Available software on BlueHive
• Modules environment for configuring and using software
• Python environments
Introduction to Jupyter (2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)
• What is Jupyter?
• Interactive notebooks: Python, R, and Spark
• Running Jupyter on BlueHive
Introduction to Gitlab (2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
• Software hosting and distribution environments
• Version control system for managing software development
• GitLab in the CIRC environment
Remote Visualization (3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
• Basic aspects of display forwarding
• X2Go, FastX, and VirtualGL
• VISTA Collaboratory
Open Session for Questions and Answers (3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
• Ask the CIRC team any questions!