The University of Rochester is growing its faculty in data science in many departments and programs. The following is a selection of current opportunities.
Deputy Director and Instructor in Data Science
The University of Rochester Goergen Institute for Data Science (GIDS) seeks applicants for a full time Deputy Director for GIDS, who will also serve as an instructor in data science. We seek candidates with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or a related STEM field. The preferred candidate will have academic and/or other administrative and program leadership experience, college teaching experience, the demonstrated ability to develop new courses, strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and a passion for interdisciplinary education. The position starts as early as July 1, 2017.
- Program Development and Leadership: Serve as part of GIDS leadership team, participating in GIDS strategic planning and oversight, including development and implementation of new initiatives.
- Education Program: Direct the overall educational initiatives for GIDS, including the graduate and undergraduate programs. This includes assessing, planning and implementing changes to all aspects of the education programs, coordinating with schools and programs across the University. With support from the GIDS Program Director, oversee expansion of student recruitment, internships, career development and placement initiatives.
- Instruction: Teach a total of 2-3 courses per year (1-2 per semester) in data science and computer science, in areas such as databases, data mining, and data science capstones and practicums. For the capstone and practicum courses, the instructor would work with industry partners and research groups across the university to create and supervise student projects based on real-world problems.
- Advising: Advise Data Science majors, MS students, perspective applicants and participate in academic advising sessions, open houses, and similar events.
For more information about the Goergen Institute for Data Science, please visit: http://www.rochester.edu/data-
Applications accepted on-line, https://www.rochester.edu/
Candidates should upload a cover letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and teaching statement describing teaching experience and teaching philosophy. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
All-Level Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Interdisciplinary Research in Data Science
We are seeking applicants for a tenure-track position in interdisciplinary research in data science. This interdisciplinary search focuses on candidates who will engage in collaborative research that connects advances in computational models and methods with the humanities, sciences, or medicine. Successful candidates will receive a primary appointment in a department within Arts, Sciences and Engineering.
Focus areas for this year’s interdisciplinary search are:
- Computational linguistics
- Neurally-inspired computing
- Computer vision and image analysis
For more information, including how to apply, see the complete online advertisement.
The University of Rochester has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled
Data Science Program Coordinator
Serves as the Program Coordinator and Communications Specialist for the Goergen Institute for Data Science (GIDS). The University-wide institute is a signature project of the University's 2013-2018 Strategic Plan. The GIDS recently launched new MS, BS and BA programs in Data Science and is coordinating with Data Science related educational and training programs in Arts, Sciences and Engineering, the Simon School of Business and the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The Academic Program Coordinator will support the GIDS leadership in overseeing several aspects of the GIDS education and training programs, including supporting the admissions process, course offerings, capstone and practicum projects and student placement. The position will work with faculty and administrators in other programs across the University to help coordinate and align Data Science programs and offerings. Additionally, this role will lead communications and marketing efforts for the GIDS.
Specific responsibilities include educational program coordination, advising students, administrating graduate admissions, performing degree audits, assisting with and tracking student placement, updating the Institute's web pages, and writing brochures, posters, and announcements.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online at Careers at the University of Rochester. Search for Posting Number 199811 to view the full job description and requirements.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled