Majors & Minors
Pursue an undergraduate degree or take courses in political science or international relations.
Discover notable individuals with Rochester degrees in political science or international relations.
Receive the most rigorous training in political science, and learn formal and statistical methods at the highest level.
- Scott Tyson posts piece on "Why Radicalization Is so Common, and What to Do about It"
- 2020 Annual Department Newsletter posted
- Bonnie Meguid elected as Chair of the Political Economy Section of the APSA for 2020-22
- PhD alum Daniel Gillion publishes piece, "The Myth of the Silent Majority," in The Atlantic
- Dept. of Political Science 2020 Commencement Ceremony posted
- Rochester PhD Lynn Vavreck elected to Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Gretchen Helmke's article (with Levitsky) is most cited in Perspectives on Politics
- PhD alumnus Daniel Diermeier named Chancellor of Vanderbilt University
Recent PhD Placements
- Peter Bils — Vanderbilt University
- Zuheir Desai — Princeton University (post-doc) and IE School of Global and Public Affairs
- Christy Qiu — IE School of Global and Public Affairs
- Seda Ozturk — Data Scientist, New York Times
- Karen Albert — Joint Warfare Analysis Center, US Government
- Andrea Morris — Washington University (post-doc)
- Olga Gasparyan— Hertie School of Governance (post-doc)
- Hans Leonard — Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Justin Nicholson— Booz Allen Hamilton
- Rabia Malik — University of Essex
- Jeheung Ryu — Princeton University (post-doc)
- Emiel Awad — London School of Economics (post-doc)
- The 2020 Annual Newsletter summarizes the department's progress during a challenging year
- Richard Fenno joined the department in 1957 and led the profession from Rochester for over half a century
- The MA program in Political Science is currently open for applications
- We offer resources on race & ethnic politics, including a reading list on policing and criminal justice
- Rochester faculty regularly publish cutting edge research in the top journals of the discipline
- Faculty and PhD students have access to BlueHive, the University's high performance Linux cluster
Rochester alumni can be found in a range of fields, from law to business to education to government to sports. Explore the alumni network to make a connection!
Meet our Alumni
We partner with the Gwen M. Greene Career and Internships Center to connect students with jobs, internships, research opportunities, and more.
Want more information about the Department of Political Science? Contact us.