The next deadline for research grant applications is April 15th, 2019.
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Grants
The Susan B. Anthony Institute (SBAI) for Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies offers grants for both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as research prizes and teaching fellowships. Please see the following pages for more information:
Faculty Research Grants
The SBAI offers grants to support research in gender, sexuality, and women's studies by full time faculty at the University of Rochester. The Grants Committee's policy traditionally has been to award money to as many eligible applicants as possible.
Typical grant amounts range from $100–$1,000; however, we will consider larger requests. Proposals can be for such items as:
- Publication subventions
- Research materials
- Travel for research
- Travel to professional conferences in cases where the applicant is on the program
Research grant funding cannot be used to pay for participant incentives. Grant recipients are encouraged to present their material in SBAI seminars and conferences. We ask that you acknowledge the support in publications.
To apply for a research grant, complete and submit our online SBAI Research Grant application form.
Applications are due in October, February, and April of each year. Refer to our calendar for exact dates. Research grants may be either for research undertaken this academic year or for research planned for the following summer.
When completing your grant application, we encourage you to keep the following in mind:
- People from a variety of disciplines are on the Research Grants Committee. Please be clear how your subject matter is related to gender and/or women's studies in a way that is comprehensible to people far outside your field.
- You should explain how your work is relevant to SBAI and convey precisely how your research contributes to the field. We will only support work that advances an understanding of gender, sexuality, and/or women’s studies.
- Research on female subjects does not automatically qualify.
- Among faculty, only SBAI associates (not affiliates) are eligible for research grant funds.
- Receipts and expenses must be presented for reimbursement within 45 days of travel or purchase. Expenses presented after 60 days will not be reimbursable as per the University’s policy in accordance with IRS reporting guidelines.
Typical reasons an application will not be funded:
- You have not made clear how your study is relevant to gender, sexuality, and/or women's studies. It may help to include information about your study participants, potential findings, or implications for practice. For example f you propose a survey, please enclose it. It is also helpful if you indicate how many participants are expected, how the results will be interpreted and/or what rough conclusions you might expect.
- You applied for a travel grant and did not give enough information about your study/project and the importance of presenting at the conference/meeting.
- You application lacks important information such as a detailed timeline of your project and supporting documents (e.g. surveys, interview protocols).
- There is a lack of connection between the application and the letter of recommendation from the supporting faculty member.
- Your proposal involves human subjects and you do not have IRB approval.
We look forward to supporting your research!