*Please note that funds for research-related travel are not currently being awarded due to the pandemic. We are giving priority to applications from those with no other sources of funding to complete their research. For application due dates, please see our events calendar*
The Susan B. Anthony Institute (SBAI) offers grants to support research in gender, sexuality and women's studies by graduate students. The Grants Committee's policy has traditionally been to award money to as many eligible applicants as possible.
Typical grant amounts range from $100–$1,000; however, we will consider larger requests. Proposals can be for such items as:
- Publication subventions
- Research materials
- Travel for research (postponed until further notice)
- Travel to professional conferences in cases where the applicant is on the program (postponed until further notice)
Research grant funding may not be used to pay for participant incentives.
Grant recipients are encouraged to present their material in SBAI seminars and conferences. We ask that you acknowledge the support in publications.
When completing your grant application, we encourage you to have the following in mind:
- People from a variety of disciplines are on the Research Grants Committee. Please make clear how your subject matter is centrally related to gender, sexuality, and/or women's studies in a way that is comprehensible to people far outside your field.
- It is incumbent upon you to create a case for relevance and to convey precisely how your research contributes to the field. We will only support work that advances an understanding of gender, sexuality, and/or women's studies.
- Research on female subjects does not automatically qualify.
- Graduate students must obtain a letter of recommendation from a supporting faculty member who knows their work.
- Receipts and expenses must be presented for reimbursement within 45 days of travel or purchase. Expenses presented after 60 days will not be reimbursable as per the University's policy in accordance with IRS reporting guidelines.
To apply for a research grant, please complete the application form online.
Your application must include a reference letter from a faculty member. Please have the faculty member email the letter to email@example.com by the due date. Applications are typically due in October, February, and April of each year. Refer to the events calendar for exact dates.
Research grants may be either for research undertaken this academic year or for research planned for the following summer.
View a list of previous recipients here.