The Advanced Certificate in Literary Translation is open to matriculated University of Rochester graduate students who want to pursue literary translation but do not want to write a master’s thesis.
The certificate can complement a number of programs and is equally suited for new translators and seasoned translators.
The Advanced Certificate in Literary Translation program enables students to experience the full process leading to the publication of a work in translation—from evaluating a text, acquiring rights, and editing the translation, to designing the cover and launching a promotional campaign for an international author. The program begins with a required course introducing students to the theory and practice of translation, includes a practical component in the form of a portfolio of independent translation projects, and features an internship at a press specializing in literary translation. The program is based on translation into English.
The Advanced Certificate in Literary Translation has the following requirements:
- LTS 400: Studies in Translation
- LTS 401: Independent Project and Translation Portfolio
- Three of the following:
- LTS 410: Publishing Internship
- LTS 4XX: Fiction or Poetry Writing and Translation Workshop
- LTS 4XX: Studies in International Literature (topics vary by semester)
- LTS 4XX: Advanced Literary Studies (topics vary by semester)