The primary focus of Dr. Jamieson's work seeks to understand how experiences of stress impact decisions, emotions, and performance, and how stress responses can be optimized to promote resilience in the face of stressors. He is particularly interested in studying stress regulation across multiple contexts, including academic achievement, dyadic interactions, and competition to name a few. To understand in vivo stress processes, Dr. Jamieson's research frequently relies on assessing physiological responses, with a focus on autonomic and neuroendocrine measures.
LAB WEBSITE: http://socialstresslab.wixsite.com/urochester
- Jamieson, J.P., Black, A., Pelaia, L., *Gravelding, H., *Gordils, J., & Reis, H.T. (in press). Reappraising stress arousal improves affective, neuroendocrine, and academic performance outcomes in community college classrooms. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General.
- Crum, A.J., Jamieson, J.P., & Akinola, M. (2020). Optimizing stress: An integrated intervention for regulating stress responses. Emotion, 20, 120-125.
- Gordils, J., Elliot, A. J., Sommet, N., & Jamieson, J. P. (2020). Racial income inequality promotes perceptions of competition and predicts negative interracial outcomes. Social Psychological & Personality Science, 11, 74-87.
- Jamieson, J.P., Black, A. Pelaia, L., & Reis, H. T. (2020). The impact of mathematics anxiety on stress appraisals, neuroendocrine responses, and academic performance in a community college sample. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Lee, H. Y., Jamieson, J. P., Reis, H. T., Beevers, C. G., Josephs, R. A., Mullarkey, M., O'Brien, J., & Yeager, D. S. (2020). Getting fewer "Likes" than others on social media elicits emotional distress among victimized adolescents. Child Development.
- Ovies, C., Gu, Y., Ocampo, J. M., *Hangen, E. J., & Jamieson, J. P. (2020). Emotion regulation contagion: Stress reappraisal promotes challenge responses in teammates. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General.
- *Hangen, E. J., Elliot, A. J., & Jamieson, J. P. (2019). Lay conceptions of norm-based approach and avoidance motivation: Implications for the performance-approach and performance-avoidance goal relation. Journal of Personality, 87, 737-749.
- Jamieson, J. P., Crum, A. J., Goyer, J. P., Marotta, M. E., & Akinola, M. (2018). Optimizing stress responses: An integrated model. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 31, 245-261.
- Jamieson, J.P., *Hangen, E. J., Lee, H.Y., & Yeager, D.S. (2018). Capitalizing on appraisal processes to improve stress responses. Emotion Review, 10, 30-39.