External Positions for Seniors and Graduates
Human Subjects Research Coordinator
The Active Perception Lab and the Vision & Psychosis Lab at the University of Rochester is searching for a full-time Human Subjects Research Coordinator who will contribute to a federally funded investigation of fine-scale eye movement differences in psychosis.
- administering oculomotor and neuropsychological assessments to people with and without psychotic disorders
- assisting with recruiting participants and scheduling appointments
- attending weekly lab meetings of Professors Martina Poletti and Brian Keane
- maintaining and updating study databases (i.e., REDCap
- preparing materials for IRB review; (e) delegating responsibilities to other lab members
- preparing written scientific results for publication and conference presentation; and (g) assisting with administrative/clerical duties as needed.
This position can be viewed as a stepping-stone toward graduate or professional school and we make every effort to get our lab members actively involved in ongoing research projects. The University of Rochester is considered a leading center for vision science and psychosis research and thus provides an ideal environment for those who have intersecting interests in these areas.
- 30% Data collection
- Implements protocols for oculomotor testing including use of dual Purkinje eye tracker and Badal optometer.
- Conducts ocular pathology screening using optical coherence tomography, tonometer, and other ophthalmologic instruments.
- 30% Project Management
- Conducts all study-related IRB correspondence, including: creating initial submissions, protocol amendments and exceptions; drafting protocols, consent forms, and recruitment materials; reporting protocol deviations and adverse events; and submitting annual continuing reviews of active and inactive studies.
- Collaborates with Professors Keane and Poletti to ensure regulatory and other documents (e.g., NIH progress reports) are complete and on time.
- Complete regular subject chart reviews.
- 30% Participant recruitment
- Conducts face-to-face recruitment efforts in local clinics serving people with serious mental illness and at psychiatric residential settings (e.g., East House group homes).
- Assists with recruitment using online resources (social media, CraigsList, etc)
- 5% Data Management
- Ensures the integrity and security of all paper and electronic study data.
- Oversee data entry and supervise other study staff in using REDCap databases.
- 5% Reporting and dissemination
- Assist in the writing and editing of presentations and publications of study findings.
Candidate will subscribe to the University's goal of creating a culturally competent environment by treating research subjects and co-workers in a sensitive and caring manner. The Research Assistant must complete the Human Subjects Protection Program (HSPP) and NIH's Good Clinical Practice training.
The successful candidate will have at least a Bachelor’s degree in psychology, neuroscience, or a related discipline by the first day of work. Candidates with at least one 1 year of experience in human subject research coordination, or an equivalent combination of education and experience are strongly preferred. We also strongly prefer candidates who have a car, a valid driver license, and who can commit to two years of service. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Experience or interest in administering clinical instruments such as the SCID and PANSS are a plus but not required.
The start date is flexible but February 1st is preferred. Applicants are asked to include a CV, cover letter and a list of three referees (within the cover letter itself). Applications should be sent to Michele Schultz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. Informal inquiries regarding the position are welcome and may be directed to Professors Martina Poletti (Martina_Poletti@URMC.Rochester.edu) or Brian Keane (Brian_Keane@urmc.rochester.edu).
The University of Rochester is an equal opportunity employer.