2013 Graduate Research Conference
"Women in Labor: Gendering (Re)Production"
Friday, March 1, 2013
5:00pm-5:30pm Opening Reception
5:30pm-6:30pm Panel One: Cultural Products
Moderator: Grace Seiberling, Associate Professor of Art History, University of Rochester
- Marissa Schwalm (Binghamton University), "Blood & Ink: Women Pushing Equality with Graphic Autobiographies in the Workforce and the World"
- Caoimhe Morgan-Feir (OCAD University), "Spinning a Yarn of Bioart and Labour"
Saturday, March 2, 2013
10:15am-10:30am Opening Remarks
Honey Meconi, Director, Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies
10:30am-12:15pm Panel Two: Reproductive Bodiesf
Moderator: Alison Peterman, Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Rochester
- Jennifer Loft (University at Buffalo), "Inscribing the Indigenous Woman's Body: Reflecting on Trauma and Memory in Alliance with Jennifer Griffiths' 'Traumatic Posessions' "
- Rashida A. Manuel (University of Cincinnati), "Of Slaves and Surrogates: Reproductive Labor in the Twenty-First Century"
- Rachael Pack (University of Western Ontario), "Risky Reproducers and Genetic Hopelessness: Biopolitical Implications of the Crack Panic"
1:15pm-2:15pm Keynote Adress
"Work, Profit, and Care: Some Reflections from Feminist Economics"
Julie A. Nelson
Professor and Chair, Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts
Editor, Feminist Economics
2:30pm-3:45pm Panel Three: Gendered Divisions of Labor
Moderator: Rachel Remmel, Assistant Professor of American Studies, Eastman School of Music
- Kari L. Colosi (Binghamton University), " 'Speaking Up is My Job Now': Women's Political Activism and the Environmental Politics of Shale Gas Development in Rural Upstate New York"
- Aparna Parikh (Pennsylvania State University), "Jane in the Call Center"
- Susila Gurusami (UCLA), "Boys and Girls in White: Investigating the Socialization of Inequality in Medical Specialties"
4:00pm-5:00pm Panel Four: Confronting Public and Private Spheres
Moderator: Jeffrey Runner, Associate Professor of Linguistics, University of Rochester
- Anasa Hicks (New York University), " 'Like All Other Things': Domestic Work at the Moment of the Cuban Revolution"
- Ada Yuk Yin Lee (Chinese University of Hong Kong),"In-Betweeness: Gender Identities and Same-Sex Practices of Women-Loving Filipina Domestic Workers in Hong Kong"
Conference Organizing Committee:
Lauron Kehrer, Chair
The Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership
The Program in Visual & Cultural Studies
The Program in Film & Media Studies
The Department of Art & Art History
The Department of English
The Department of Philosophy
The Frederick Douglass Institute for African & African American Studies
The Program in American Studies
The Graduate Organizing Group
The Department of History
The Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
The Department of Musicology (Eastman School of Music)