BLAST OFF! A Concert of Premieres by the University of Rochester Brass Choir
February 26, 2016
07:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Hirst Lounge, Wilson Commons
The 40-piece UR Brass Choir will present a concert of never-before-heard music on Friday, February 26th at 7:00pm in the expansive acoustics of Wilson Commons, UR's student union. The program will comprise five recently-unearthed or newly-written arrangements and compositions (see details below), including Five by Five, a multimovement work composed for the occasion by the group's director, Josef Hanson. Admission is free and the public is encouraged to attend.
Now in its eighth year of existence, the UR Brass Choir includes representatives from nearly every division of the university. Fresh off a recent performance tour to Canada, the group remains dedicated to crafting performances that are a bit out of the ordinary. In recent years, the Brass Choir has collaborated with a multitude of ensembles, including the Rochester Scottish Pipes and Drums, Syracuse University Brass Ensemble, and Smugtown Stompers Dixieland Jazz Band, and has performed at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH and Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
BLAST OFF! Repertoire
- Fanfare and Burlesque by John Zdechlik
- Grand Choeur Triomphale by Alexandre Guilmant; arranged by Dr. Eric Limbach, UR Department of History
- Music from 'The Ten Commandments' by Elmer Bernstein; arranged by Scott Morabito (UR class of 2010)
- Five by Five by Josef Hanson
- I. Exponentiation
- 2. Blues
- 3. To the Fifth Power
- 4. Pentagram
- 5. The One-Legged Polka
- Brooklyn by the Youngblood Brass Band; arranged by Matt Yetto (UR class of 2016)
Directed by Josef Hanson. Admission is free.