All applications are due January 15 and there is a $60 application fee. Initial decisions are announced by April 15.
Applicants to the philosophy graduate program at the University of Rochester must submit an online application with the following information:
- A personal statement that addresses the following questions:
- Why do you want to pursue graduate study in philosophy?
- Why do you want to pursue that study at the University of Rochester?
- What areas of philosophy are you most interested in?
- A copy of your transcript (an official transcript will be required of admitted students before enrollment)
- Three or more confidential letters of recommendation
- A sample of your written work in philosophy
- A list of all prior courses in philosophy as a cover sheet for your work sample (Use this .doc form)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores*
- TOEFL scores (for non-native English speakers)**
*Students should take the GRE no later than January of the academic year in which the application is submitted and have its scores reported to the Department of Philosophy at the University of Rochester by using code 2928.
**TOEFL scores are required for non-native English speakers, except those educated at English-speaking institutions. The admissions committee will conduct Skype interviews with non-native English applicants prior to offers of admission, at its discretion. Students should use school code 7267 to send scores to the department.