The minor in environmental humanities consists of five classes. No more than two courses in one's major may be counted toward the minor. Students can use up to two courses from the social sciences toward the minor. In addition, students can use no more than one natural sciences course toward the minor.
Foundational Courses (Minimum Two Courses)
Choose two of the following:
- EHU/CAS 245: Literature and the Modern Environmental Imagination (humanities)
- GSW 211: Politics of Nature: Gender, Race, and Environment (social science)
- HIS 235: Environmental History (social science)
- PHL 230: Environmental Justice (humanities)
Capstone (One Course)
EH 300: Environmental Humanities Advanced Seminar*
Prerequisite: At least one environmental humanities foundational course.
*Should be taken during junior or senior year.
Elective Courses (Two Courses)
Students can choose two electives from the course list below or choose to take one or two additional foundational courses. Foundational courses cannot be counted toward both the foundational and elective requirements.
- AH 234: Art and the Environment (humanities)
- AH 274: Cultural History of American Architecture (humanities)
- AH 341: The Art of Infrastructure (humanities)
- BIO 104: Ecosystem Conservation and Human Society (natural science)
- EES 103: Introduction to Environmental Science (natural science)
- EHU/CAS 250: Food Justice, Urban Farming, Social Practice (humanities)
- EHU/CAS 267: EcoMedia (humanities)
- EHU/CAS 260: Climate Change (humanities; Meliora Seminar)*
- EHU/CAS 268: Food, Media, Literature (humanities)
- EHU/CAS 240: Environmental Apocalypse and the Anthropocene (humanities)
- HIS 181: History of Eating and Food (social science)
- HIS 219: Animal Histories (social science)
- HIS 300: History of Nature (social science)
- PHL 103: Contemporary Moral Problems (humanities)
- PHL 120: Engineering Ethics (humanities)
- PHL 135: Environmental Ethics (humanities)
- SA 252A: New Media and Emerging Practice 2: Food Justice and Social Practice (humanities)
- SA 253: New Media and Emerging Practice 2: Art Environment Action (humanities)
- SA 253A: Advanced Video Art: Environment, Landscape, Action (humanities)
*Open only to first-year, incoming students; Requires application