European History; Global History
History of the Enlightenment,of exploration in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, of childhood, of the French life-sciences in the Enlightenment, of the French Revolution, of the history of the body in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, of the history of Europe and the Americas in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, American colonial period, Revolution and early republic.
Select Publication Covers
- Panorama of the Enlightenment (Thames and Hudson, November 2006).
- "On being Perseus: travel and truth in the Enlightenment," in C. Withers and D. Livingstone, ed., Geography in the Enlightenment, (Chicago University Press, 1999).
- "On being a contemporary," in S. Schaffer, J. Golinski and W. Clark, eds., The Sciences in Enlightenment Europe, (Chicago University Press, 1999).
- The Enlightenment (Cambridge University Press, 1995, second edition, 1997, third edition 2006).
- '"Mere words:" Enlightenment, Revolution and Damage Control'; Journal of Modern History, 63, (1991), 327-362.
- The Body and the French Revolution (Yale University Press, 1989).
- Uneasy Careers and Intimate Lives: Women in Science, 1789-1979 (Rutgers University Press, 1987) with P. Abir-Am.
- Science, Vocation and Authority in Post- Revolutionary France: Georges Cuvier (Manchester University Press, 1984).