Adam Q. Stauffer
Advisor: Joan Shelley Rubin
Major Fields: American Literature, Modern East Asia
Minor Fields: American Cultural and Intellectual History
BA (Magna Cum Laude), Elizabethtown College, 2010
- Entries on “Bohemian Grove” and “Fake News,” in Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories in American History, 2 vols., ed. Jeffrey B. Webb and Christopher Fee (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming 2018).
- Review of Empire and Liberty: The Civil War and the West, ed. by Virginia Scharff, Essays in History 50 (2016)
- Review of Arresting Dress: Cross-Dressing, Law, and Fascination in Nineteenth-Century San Francisco, by Clare Sears, Journal of American Studies 50 (February 2016): 264-266.
- Review of Pranksters: Making Mischief in the Modern World, by Kembrew McLeod, Journal of Popular Culture 48 (December 2015): 1409-1412.
- Review of Freedom’s Frontier: California and the Struggle over Unfree Labor, Emancipation, and Reconstruction, by Stacey L. Smith, Essays in History 48 (2014),
- “Consuming the South Pacific: Charles Warren Stoddard, Foreign Travel, and the Limits of American Cosmopolitanism,” in Culture and Civilization, Vol. 5, Cosmopolitanism and the Global Polity, ed. Gabriel R. Ricci (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2013), 209-224.
- "'Something As Yet Unfinished': Carl Becker and the Liberal Paradox," in Religion and Public Life, Vol. 38, Politics in Theology, ed. Gabriel R. Ricci (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2012), pp. 1-14.
- "'The Fall of a Sparrow': The (Un)timely Death of Elmer Ellsworth and the Coming of the Civil War," Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era (Spring 2010), pp. 44-52.
- "The Dark Side of Paradise: The New World in Voltaire's Candide," The Best of All Possible Worlds? History Panel on Voltaire’s Candide, Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA, April 2008.
- The Making of Donald Trump's America, University of Rochester (Fall 2017/Spring 2018)
- Posthumanism: Science, Technology, and the Human Condition, University of Rochester (Fall 2016/Spring 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018)
- The Politics of Race in America, University of Rochester (Fall 2016/Spring 2017)
- The California Gold Rush and the World, University of Rochester (Summer 2015)
- Hillbilly Culture in America (Fall 2014/Spring 2015)
- Imagining the Future: The History of Science Fiction (Summer 2014)
- Heroes, Heroines, and Anti-Heroes in American Popular Culture (Fall 2013/Spring 2014)
- Democratic America, 1800-1865 (as Teaching Assistant for Michael Jarvis), University of Rochester (Spring 2012)
- American Culture since 1876 (as Teaching Assistant for Joan Shelley Rubin), University of Rochester (Fall 2011)
- 2018 Faculty Development Award, Nineteenth Century Studies Association
- 2016 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Writing, Speaking, & Argument Program, University of Rochester
- 2016 Travel Grant, Department of History, University of Rochester
- 2015 Henry F. May Award, Society for U.S. Intellectual History
- 2015 Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship, University of Rochester
- 2015 Meyers Graduate Teaching Prize, Department of History, University of Rochester
- 2015 Dudley Doust Writing Associate’s Fellowship [declined], Writing, Speaking, & Argument Program, University of Rochester
- 2015 Research Grant, Department of History, University of Rochester
- 2014 Verne Moore Fellowship, Department of History, University of Rochester
- 2014 David B. Parker Memorial Prize, Department of History, University of Rochester